POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Y2K : Re: Y2K Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Y2K
From: Lummox JR
Date: 22 Jun 1999 19:06:46
Message: <377017A3.7FB4@aol.com>
Mark Gordon wrote:
> Unless it's storing it as a signed integer, in which case it conks out
> in 2038.  I've heard plenty of references to the 2038 problem, which I
> may very well live to see.  Then again, I also expect to have migrated
> to 64-bit architectures by that time.

Well, I doubt we'll have to worry about 2038 for a while.  :)
By then, it's doubtful Windows will exist at all, but rather some
superior successor, probably not made by Microsoft. The whole industry
will be incredibly different, really, so worrying about 2038 right now
isn't a big deal.
Of course, this is analogous to a programmer in 1961 not worrying about
2000, and look where that got us, but the real problem comes from the
1981 and 1991 programmers not worrying about it either. We've got a
little while to put it off, as long as people begin taking care of the
problem before 2020 or so.
In 2038, as in many cases now, it's doubtful anything will be affected
beyond a few mainframes with ancient code.

Kind of ironic, actually; one of my favorite books, David Brin's
"Earth", is set in 2038. If you want a glimpse at what the Web could
become over the course of time, there's the place to look.

Lummox JR