POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Programmer (Message 21 to 26 of 26)
From: Alain CULOS
Subject: Re: Programmer
Date: 13 May 1999 17:43:03
Message: <373768F6.11FA056D@bigfoot.com>
Hi,

I think you misinterpreted my comments both of you ...

Marc Schimmler wrote:

> Jim Kress wrote:
> >
> > Being the lone FORTRAN programmer in the known POV universe I must take
> > exception to your comments about the language :b) .  Fortran 95 (yes, an
> > actual, current ANSI standard) has been thoroughly polluted with all the
> > structured, object oriented "improvements" that clutter C++ and associated
> > languages.  The Fortran 2000 ANSI standard promises to continue this
> > deconstruction of a once fine language ...
> >
> > Also, Lahey (www.lahey.com) offers a free Fortran compiler.
> >
> > So there!  :)D
> >
> > --
> > Jim
> >

> Hey!
>
> I'm not alone with this dinosaur! :-)
> Well your're not alone. And I use still the good ole' FORTRAN 77.
>
> Marc
> --
> Marc Schimmler

I'm learning something about f2000, I knew all right that f95 had gone some way
from the olden days.
The fortran I was talking about was indeed f77, the one with the huge amount of
legacy code.
I still think that it is a very backward language, as much as the old basic was
backward.
The reason being that it is hard to read and hard to maintain, very easy to get
lost. Not a very efficient programming language for the programmer, unless you
are prepared to do a lot of cut and paste, which does bloat your programs pretty
quickly. Try manage 8MB source code of fortran for a single application and tell
me what you think.
Well, 8MB of C is easier to read and change but that bit buggier at the same
time and some bugs can be very tricky in C.
8MB of ADA is certainly a lot easier, especially when you're talking about 32
tasks running in parallel. Even ADA83.

Of course some people hate OO, but that is only because it is too often badly
used and used for what plain straight procedural programming can do better.
That's where the design stage should have come in first. Well thought OO - that
is OO only when useful - is better than procedural, but badly thought OO can be
pretty ugly, I will admit.

Best regards & Cheers,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.

Post a reply to this message