POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmer : Re: Programmer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programmer
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 17 May 1999 05:56:22
Message: <373FD9B7.5FC186F4@aol.com>
Was talking just last weekend about Fortran with my dad and a friend of
his. They used it back in the '60s with those punch cards etc. First I've
heard he almost did programming back then, citing it to be similar to flow
charting. He was a finance manager and later became manager of the
internationl space station at Boeing before retiring.
I had visited his workplace in Florida as a kid and was shown the computer
room, what a monstrosity of archaic machines, although at the time it was
like a peek into the future for me. I did a bit of Fortran in a computing
class in high school circa '77. Strange typewriter-sized machine that used
punchcards as input and had only a orange LED display to show plots of
equations, formula, functions we gave it. We were apparently behind the
times there I think.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe