POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Combining Real / Rendered world Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Combining Real / Rendered world (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Harold Miller
Subject: Combining Real / Rendered world
Date: 3 Nov 1998 18:54:25
Message: <363f97b1.0@news.povray.org>
Greetings,
  I'd like to be able to combine rendered (raytraced?) objects and digital
photographs in a fairly realistic manner. I've tried projecting my images on
a "movie screen" then placing rendered objects in front, but the foreground
looks wierd. Also, if there are reflections from the object, they don't show
what I expect.
  Does anyone have experience in doing this? If you reply off-line, (to
pea### [at] nwnet) I'll compile a collection of responses and post them back
here.
  Tools that would help this process include:
       Cylindrical and hemi-spherical projections (like Apple's quick-time
VR) This way I can project a panorama into a cylinder and
            wrap it arount a collection of objects.
       One-sided objects (so I can put a bitmap on the front and see thru
them from behind.) This would allow tricks like seeing your
            own face in a mirror.
Thanks for your suggestions,

Harold Miller
pea### [at] nwnet

Post a reply to this message

>   I'd like to be able to combine rendered (raytraced?) objects and digital
> photographs in a fairly realistic manner. I've tried projecting my images on
> a "movie screen" then placing rendered objects in front, but the foreground
> looks wierd. Also, if there are reflections from the object, they don't show
> what I expect.
>   Does anyone have experience in doing this? If you reply off-line, (to
> pea### [at] nwnet) I'll compile a collection of responses and post them back
> here.
>   Tools that would help this process include:
>        Cylindrical and hemi-spherical projections (like Apple's quick-time
> VR) This way I can project a panorama into a cylinder and
>             wrap it arount a collection of objects.
>        One-sided objects (so I can put a bitmap on the front and see thru
> them from behind.) This would allow tricks like seeing your
>             own face in a mirror.
> Thanks for your suggestions,
>
> Harold Miller
> pea### [at] nwnet

I've done some of those. Not especially realistic, but I did try to "merge" the
images. Using the realworld-image in a POV-scen will not work I think so I just
cut'n'paste the POV-object into the photograph. To make this look good you have
to make sure the lighting in the POV-scene is more or less the same. Also, use a
background with a color typical to the photograph and use anti-aliasing. I0ve
done some manipulations where I could fit a POV-figure in a real-world
environment, even with some overlaps. A bit of retouching here and there...
But perhaps this is absolutely not what you mean.

Good luck,

Remco

Post a reply to this message