POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Combining Real / Rendered world : Re: Combining Real / Rendered world Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Combining Real / Rendered world
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 4 Nov 1998 13:49:30
Message: <364077B0.8A0874C3@xs4all.nl>
Harold Miller wrote:

> Greetings,
>   I'd like to be able to combine rendered (raytraced?) objects and digital
> photographs in a fairly realistic manner. I've tried projecting my images on
> a "movie screen" then placing rendered objects in front, but the foreground
> looks wierd. Also, if there are reflections from the object, they don't show
> what I expect.
>   Does anyone have experience in doing this? If you reply off-line, (to
> pea### [at] nwnet) I'll compile a collection of responses and post them back
> here.
>   Tools that would help this process include:
>        Cylindrical and hemi-spherical projections (like Apple's quick-time
> VR) This way I can project a panorama into a cylinder and
>             wrap it arount a collection of objects.
>        One-sided objects (so I can put a bitmap on the front and see thru
> them from behind.) This would allow tricks like seeing your
>             own face in a mirror.
> Thanks for your suggestions,
>
> Harold Miller
> pea### [at] nwnet

I've done some of those. Not especially realistic, but I did try to "merge" the
images. Using the realworld-image in a POV-scen will not work I think so I just
cut'n'paste the POV-object into the photograph. To make this look good you have
to make sure the lighting in the POV-scene is more or less the same. Also, use a
background with a color typical to the photograph and use anti-aliasing. I0ve
done some manipulations where I could fit a POV-figure in a real-world
environment, even with some overlaps. A bit of retouching here and there...
But perhaps this is absolutely not what you mean.

Good luck,

Remco