POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: POV-Ray memory bugs. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray memory bugs. (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: POV-Ray memory bugs.
Date: 25 Aug 1998 00:47:00
Message: <35E23309.3238A749@ltu.edu>
I heard that this was a only problem with the Windows version... are there
any UNIX (or other) people out there who can confirm/deny this rumor?

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 25 Aug 1998 04:11:22
Message: <qqmww7x4jtx.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Nathan Kopp <nk8### [at] ltuedu> writes:

> I heard that this was a only problem with the Windows version... are there
> any UNIX (or other) people out there who can confirm/deny this rumor?
>
> -Nathan

Perhaps you know the tool "purify". It checks the usage of memory and finds
almost every error. I've just used it with POV-Ray to render a scene that
uses more than 60 MB on a Sun Enterprise. There wasn't any memory leak - not
a single byte. The scene contains spheres, cylinders, bezier patches and a
plane. At least these features seem to work perfectly.

However, you may want to send me a scene that causes problems on a Windows
machine, and I will check it.

Thomas

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm

Post a reply to this message

"K. Tyler" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> writes:

> --------------C4F75C83F17358093F274ECC
>
> Thomas Willhalm wrote:
>
> > Nathan Kopp <nk8### [at] ltuedu> writes:
> > > I heard that this was a only problem with the Windows version... are
> > > there any UNIX (or other) people out there who can confirm/deny this
> > > rumor?
> > > -Nathan
> >
> > Perhaps you know the tool "purify". It checks the usage of memory and finds
> > almost every error. I've just used it with POV-Ray to render a scene that
> > uses more than 60 MB on a Sun Enterprise. There wasn't any memory leak -
> > nota single byte. The scene contains spheres, cylinders, bezier patches
> > and a plane. At least these features seem to work perfectly.
> >
> > However, you may want to send me a scene that causes problems on a Windows
> > machine, and I will check it.
> >

> I'm attaching a POV-Ray scene file that is a Pov twisting
> memory busting son of a gun. I've tried rendering it 4 times
> tonight and have had 4 different results memory and rendering
> wise.
>
> #1 It rendered to 99% and crashed not only Pov 3.01
> but also my windows 95 session.
>
> #2 Tried it on Pov 3.1b4. It parsed almost twice as fast but
> crashed as soon as it started to render. Had to reboot again.
> Windows warning about system resources to low to operate.
>
> #3 opened again in 3.01. Parsed up to the vista buffer stage
> and crashed. System again had to be rebooted to regain stability.
>
> #4 opened again in 3.01. Parsed and rendered to 84% then
> completely crashed the system. Total system freeze up.

After replacing "finish{Fin}" by "finish{Dull}" it rendered flawlessly on a
Sun, and purify didn't report any errors. AFAIK the generic unix version
corresponds to 3.01.

> I'd like to be able to tell you what the total memory usage of this
> file is but Pov doesn't report peak memory use until after it's finished
> rendering. Since I haven't gotten that far yet I just don't know.

Smallest Alloc:                 11 bytes   Largest:          1053704
Peak memory used:         87557991 bytes

> Please mention your system platform, onboard memory, and system speed.

Sun Enterprise 4000/5000 with 4 336 MHz SUNW,UltraSPARC-II CPUs (used only
1 CPU), 1024 MB RAM running SunOS 5.5.1

Thomas