POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  whither POV-Ray ?? (Message 21 to 30 of 157)
From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: whither POV-Ray ??
Date: 5 Jul 2020 06:05:26
Message: <5f01a5e6$1@news.povray.org>
On 04.07.2020 22:42, Mr wrote:
> Mostly thanks to Clipka, who had the good sense to really synch his Uberpov
> branch and move back things to trunk from it as much as he could.
>
> If we could we would be very well inspired to gather enough money to provide
> some kind of Grant for Clipka... But how to do
> that?
>
> Has it been considered to at least make him a candidate for a Google Summer of
> code campaign?... I have no doubt that he will be very much over the lot of
> other candidates... The tutor could be one of the chairmen.
>
> If this is not an option or not attractive enough for him, let's come up with
> other ideas to fulfill this goal (a short term but professional contract for
> Clipka !)

He obviously is long out of university and has a real day job that pays
well. Google summer of code is a student activity.

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 5 Jul 2020 11:15:01
Message: <web.5f01eda617b7b05f4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> On 04.07.2020 14:36, Bald Eagle wrote:
> > Chris Cason<del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg>  wrote:
> I think the first thing to understand is that the code and the language
> are the way they are by design, and that design makes a real lot of
> sense if you take a serious and not a superficial look. ...
> I have been around from 3.1 to 3.7 release cycles after all.

that would seem to make you the person to ask a technical question.  :-)

while I'm quite happy with the SDL per se, I really miss "introspection" tools.
along the lines 'typeof()' and 'obj_info()'.

so, how difficult would it be, from your perspective, to implement a 'typeof()'
function which returns an integer value (no enums, alas) that could be used like
eg (with made-up "magic" numbers):

#switch (typeof(Name))
  #case (0)
    // have an object.
    #break
  #case (1)
    // have a vector.
    #break
#end

and, if in yr opinion it's not too difficult, can you please outline (roughly)
the steps, and, perhaps, the source files likely to be involved?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> > Mostly thanks to Clipka, who had the good sense to really synch his Uberpov
> > branch and move back things to trunk from it as much as he could.
> >
> > If we could we would be very well inspired to gather enough money to provide
> > some kind of Grant for Clipka... But how to do
> > that?
> >
> > Has it been considered to at least make him a candidate for a Google Summer of
> > code campaign?... I have no doubt that he will be very much over the lot of
> > other candidates... The tutor could be one of the chairmen.
> >
> > If this is not an option or not attractive enough for him, let's come up with
> > other ideas to fulfill this goal (a short term but professional contract for
> > Clipka !)
>
> He obviously is long out of university and has a real day job that pays
> well. Google summer of code is a student activity.
>
> Thorsten

Okay. How about all these firms using POV for benchmark... wouldn't they gold
sponsor some kind of Patreon?

Post a reply to this message