POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Jupiter photos Server Time
10 May 2024 01:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Jupiter photos (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Jupiter photos
Date: 8 Jul 2018 16:30:01
Message: <web.5b4273dbb66836d3a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> > My screen background is Sam Benge's "My Europan Vacation". A gorgeous
> > Jupiter dominating the frozen wastes of Europa. I don't remember the
> > year but it is one of the outstanding POV works.
>
> 2009

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4b06352d%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Great detective work! Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 8 Jul 2018 19:14:43
Message: <5b429ae3$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 08.07.2018 12:37, Bald Eagle wrote:

> 2009

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4b06352d%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

...but Jupiter isn't procedural in this image, but textured with a
high-resolution image map! Or is it in fact?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Jul 2018 02:42:31
Message: <5b4303d7$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 08.07.2018 12:37, Bald Eagle wrote:
>
>> 2009

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4b06352d%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

> ...but Jupiter isn't procedural in this image, but textured with a
> high-resolution image map! Or is it in fact?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

Ah. Good point indeed. Image_map most certainly. I don't want to think
about the procedural hell involved. :-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 09/07/2018 07:42, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>> Hi(gh)!
>>
>> On 08.07.2018 12:37, Bald Eagle wrote:
>>
>>> 2009

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4b06352d%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

>> ...but Jupiter isn't procedural in this image, but textured with a
>> high-resolution image map! Or is it in fact?
>>
>> See you in Khyberspace!
>>
>> Yadgar
>
> Ah. Good point indeed. Image_map most certainly. I don't want to think
> about the procedural hell involved. :-)

Have a look at this page. It uses noise generated by a GPU but the
technique might be adapted for PovRay.

https://www.seedofandromeda.com/blogs/49-procedural-gas-giant-rendering-with-gpu-noise

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 09/07/2018 07:42, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> Hi(gh)!

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4b06352d%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

>>> ...but Jupiter isn't procedural in this image, but textured with a
>>> high-resolution image map! Or is it in fact?
>>>
>>> See you in Khyberspace!
>>>
>>> Yadgar
>>
>> Ah. Good point indeed. Image_map most certainly. I don't want to think
>> about the procedural hell involved. :-)
>>

> Have a look at this page. It uses noise generated by a GPU but the
> technique might be adapted for PovRay.

https://www.seedofandromeda.com/blogs/49-procedural-gas-giant-rendering-with-gpu-noise

Yeah! That is wonderful! It should not be too difficult to do after all,
and we could probable even do better than this.

Thanks Stephen! Something to file in the ToDo list with an international
query for Round Tuits.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message