POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer woes Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:32:49 EDT (-0400)
  Computer woes (Message 28 to 37 of 37)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Computer woes
Date: 4 Aug 2015 08:18:08
Message: <55c0ad80$1@news.povray.org>
>> No, never a French one, but I had plenty of Japanese ones at my last
>> job. They seem to work fine (apart from using the Yen symbol instead of
>> the backslash symbol for directory separators) until you press the right
>> (wrong) key combination which switches you into Japanese text entry.
>> Still, you can make it look like you are good at typing Japanese by just
>> punching random keys continuously :-)
>>

> Who is the Japanese equivalent of Shakespeare? :-)

I didn't have *that* much time!

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Aug 2015 09:30:20
Message: <55c0be6c$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2015 1:18 PM, scott wrote:
>>> No, never a French one, but I had plenty of Japanese ones at my last
>>> job. They seem to work fine (apart from using the Yen symbol instead of
>>> the backslash symbol for directory separators) until you press the right
>>> (wrong) key combination which switches you into Japanese text entry.
>>> Still, you can make it look like you are good at typing Japanese by just
>>> punching random keys continuously :-)
>>>

>> Who is the Japanese equivalent of Shakespeare? :-)
>
> I didn't have *that* much time!

:-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Aug 2015 16:32:43
Message: <55c1216b$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/2/2015 6:13 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 02.08.2015 um 14:30 schrieb Stephen:
>
>> When I used to work for a living. It was fun working on a machine that
>> had lost its CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT
>> The keyboard would revert to US settings but the letters didn't. ;-)
>> Remembering where the  backslash, at sign and inverted comma keys were,
>> was a pain.
>
> Tell me about it. The German keyboard layout shares exactly five(!)
> punctuation character locations with the US one, AND has two letter keys
> swapped.
>
> I never bothered to try and remember the US locatin of characters. All I
> cared about was that typing "kezb gr" (sic!) would usually fix the mess.

Nor me. Fortunately my fingers are not directly connected to my brain.
They did it themselves. Ask me and I can't tell you but put me in front
of a k/board and it happens. :-)

> And then there was the keyboard of my first own PC. One of the things I
> did pretty early after unboxing was to install some Norton Commander
> clone which, as you may recall, made heavy use of the function keys as
> hotkeys for important stuff; I knew most of them by heart.

That passed me by. Norton became a resource hog and I stopped using it
early on.

> So a moment later I was sitting in front of the thing with a puzzled
> expression on my face, struggling to find the F7 key.
>
> "Okay, let's do this systematically," I thought, and went through the
> function key row: "Here's F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F5, F8... Wait, *WHAT?!*"

LOL. that I can appreciate. :-)

> The good news was that yes, the second F5 key behaved exactly like the
> good old F7 key. Phew! :)

Oh! I wonder how that could happen. :-)

> Also, the keyboard was a genuine Cherry keyboard (albeit branded
> differently by the OEM) with easily removable keycaps, so a letter to
> the OEM and a few days later I was able to swap the keycap for a
> properly labeled one.

A good ending. :-)

> I think I still have the F5 keycap somewhere.

On a chain around your neck? ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> And then there was the keyboard of my first own PC. One of the things I
>> did pretty early after unboxing was to install some Norton Commander
>> clone which, as you may recall, made heavy use of the function keys as
>> hotkeys for important stuff; I knew most of them by heart.
>
> That passed me by. Norton became a resource hog and I stopped using it
> early on.

You should have tried Volkov Commander. Same functionality as NC plus
some more, yet still magnitudes smaller. Good old Russian assembler
coding. I made sure to put it on all my boot disks.

Post a reply to this message