POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:56 EDT (-0400)
  I need a new computer: RAID and other questions (Message 46 to 55 of 55)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
Date: 29 Jan 2013 14:35:41
Message: <5108248d$1@news.povray.org>

>>> A new feature that Novell had in Netware 3.10 back in 1990.
>>
>> And Amiga OS had premptive multitasking and a full GUI back when PC
>> users were still playing with MS-DOS. Your point?
>
> That is is hardly a new feature.

And *my* point is that _most_ new Windows features aren't very new at all...

> Most software (Office is - or was - famous for that.) no longer rewrite
> the entire file when you do a "save". It only appends a "changes"
> section at the end of the file

I would rather dispute that. It seems to be that Microsoft Office is the
exception here, rather than the rule... And now that even MS Office uses
a zipped XML format, I don't think even that is true any more.

And even if it is, how does that help you recover prior versions?

> This being said, I wonder how Windows Server 2008 would know that it
> should save multiple copies of a 5MB TPS Reports.ppt, but not multiple
> copies of a 64GB payroll.dbf.

I presume it doesn't. I would expect it to just blindly copy everything,
regardless of the dire performance implications. It's highly
sophisticated software, after all...

Post a reply to this message