POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 31 Jan 2013 09:52:12
Message: <510a851c@news.povray.org>
Le 2013-01-29 14:35, Orchid Win7 v1 a écrit :

>>> And Amiga OS had premptive multitasking and a full GUI back when PC
>>> users were still playing with MS-DOS. Your point?
>>
>> That is is hardly a new feature.
>
> And *my* point is that _most_ new Windows features aren't very new at
> all...
>
>> Most software (Office is - or was - famous for that.) no longer rewrite
>> the entire file when you do a "save". It only appends a "changes"
>> section at the end of the file
>
> I would rather dispute that. It seems to be that Microsoft Office is the
> exception here, rather than the rule... And now that even MS Office uses
> a zipped XML format, I don't think even that is true any more.

Why would that be? It's been possible to append to an existing zip since
the early 90s.

And even if MS Office was the exception, most people in a corporate
environment do not use anything else that stores files on a networked drive.

[Depressing Story Bro]
One of my wife's coworkers: "I wish I could group my files logically
instead of having them all in the same place."
Other coworker: "Oh, it's easy.  All you have to do is start Word, and
click on File / Open...  From there there's an icon that allows you to
create folders."
My wife: "There has to be an easier way..."
Coworker #1: "Yeah, why don't you call your husband... He works in IT,
he should know"
[End DSB]

> And even if it is, how does that help you recover prior versions?

Because on Netware servers, "deleted" is just another attribute for the
file starting at sector XYZ.

So if the application deletes the existing file before recreating a new
one, the server will have two copies of the file on disk, with one that
has the deleted attribute.

So you could easily revert to earlier versions of the file by using the
SALVAGE command.

(And yes, server-based backup software are smart enough to back up the
deleted versions as well, if you asked them, just as they could backup
compressed files without decompressing them)