POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 29 Jan 2013 16:44:57
Message: <510842d9@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:07:13 -0500, Francois Labreque wrote:

>>> A new feature that Novell had in Netware 3.10 back in 1990.
>>
>> I was thinking the same thing.  That was the migration feature IIRC.
>> Migrated data from fast disk storage to slower optical storage.
>
> No, I was just thinking of the SALVAGE utility that allowed you to
> restore previous copies of files.  (a bit similar to Norton's UNERASE,
> but that would work on non-contiguous files)

Oh, yes, that was also available on 2.x, I think.

The difference, though, is that there was no guarantee that a prior
version would still be there.  With SALVAGE, the blocks were marked as
freeable and the DET entry was moved to DELETED.SAV if the directory were
removed (I think in some cases it always was moved there, but at some
point it was just marked in the DET in the directory as deleted until it
was purged or the blocks were used).

If the blocks the file was stored in were needed for storage, though,
then the file would be permanently deleted.

Or, obviously, if the PURGE utility were run.

HSM, on the other hand, preserved copies of files on optical media, but
probably didn't catch all revisions.

Jim