POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  I should not have looked it up. (Message 61 to 70 of 82)
From: waggy
Subject: Re: I should not have looked it up/The search continues
Date: 4 Aug 2012 18:40:01
Message: <web.501da46cd94559be9726a3c10@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 4-8-2012 6:02, waggy wrote:
>
> > Modern software doesn't make these respectable jobs obsolete, it just gives
> > authors the tools to do all of them themselves, poorly, when we could be doing
> > more of the research we're good at.
>
> This is where Andy could have looked for a job. If research-funding had
> been more sensible.

With those skills, perhaps a position as a professional (grant or other)
proposal writer might be a good fit.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: I should not have looked it up.
Date: 4 Aug 2012 19:05:18
Message: <501daaae@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2012 14:59, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 12:30:15 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Native american: I was born in America.
>>
>> American Indian: My ancestors 1000 years ago were born in America.
>
> Here in Utah, that's not the common parlance.

Yes, I know. I do it out of spite.

> "American Citizen" is used to reflect someone who is a citizen of the US;
> "Natural Born [American] Citizen" is used to denote someone who received
> their citizenship by being born here.

That would be the correct legal terms, yes.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Aug 2012 00:16:34
Message: <501df3a2@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 16:05:16 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 8/4/2012 14:59, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 12:30:15 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>>
>>> Native american: I was born in America.
>>>
>>> American Indian: My ancestors 1000 years ago were born in America.
>>
>> Here in Utah, that's not the common parlance.
>
> Yes, I know. I do it out of spite.

I figured you did, which is why I was puzzled by it myself. :)

>> "American Citizen" is used to reflect someone who is a citizen of the
>> US;
>> "Natural Born [American] Citizen" is used to denote someone who
>> received their citizenship by being born here.
>
> That would be the correct legal terms, yes.

Well, not just legal terms, but round here, it's common terminology
outside the legal field.

Maybe it's a bigger thing here in Utah, though - July 24 is "Pioneer
Day".  Some of the local Native American tribes have started a
celebration in parallel - a sort of intertribal powwow.

Pioneer Day in Utah is *big*.  Bigger than the 4th of July.  Seriously,
it's crazy here on the 24th, and the 4th doesn't seem like anywhere near
as big of a deal.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Aug 2012 15:05:48
Message: <501ec40c$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2012 11:22 AM, andrel wrote:
> On 4-8-2012 6:02, waggy wrote:
>> Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure. But that doesn't help *me* read it. I always seem to have trouble
>>> getting my hands on interesting papers and stuff...
>>
>> At my university, I have to deliver two printed copies to the school
>> library.
>
> I had about 300 IIRC. Different system. Ours is better ;)
>
>> I must also deliver an electronic copy to a commercial online
>> publisher to make
>> available through their private (paid) service. Registering a
>> copyright and
>> providing open access are add-on costs for the author.
>
> I thought that even the USA had gone over to the sensible system that
> everything one writes is automatically copyrighted.

Not entirely sure that I would call the US "sensible" in this case,
since what it means in reality is "perpetual copyright", the resent BS
from SCOTUS that you can re-copyright public works, the near total
elimination of anything ever going public *ever* unless explicitly done,
and finally, the fact that 90% of all works are copyrighted not to the
authors, but whom ever they worked for, while doing it.

The last bit basically means that you, as a programmer, designer,
writer, etc., don't own shit all of anything, unless you are willing to
starve and never take corporate money, until you magically succeed at
something. And, in practical terms, you can't even design a product in
those conditions, without generally being unable to sell it, having to
hand over rights to someone else anyway, and/or having to pay out vast
amount of money, to cover your ass with prior works, patents, etc.

The only thing a published work avoids is that it is a) easier to create
derivatives, in theory, and b) you can't patent it. But, I am sure some
asshole is working on the latter in some special interest group some
place...

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Aug 2012 15:25:39
Message: <501ec8b3@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2012 4:05 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> "American Citizen" is used to reflect someone who is a citizen of the US;
>> "Natural Born [American] Citizen" is used to denote someone who received
>> their citizenship by being born here.
>
> That would be the correct legal terms, yes.

So.. Here the joke about the Rethuglican that wants to attack this
definition's allowance that it must be on "US soil", as defined as
military bases, and other US sovereign locations, but is too stupid to
realize it would put dozens of his own party members in the position of
being illegal, including the one they just got through praising as "far
better than that current guy, which we need to get rid of by making this
illegal!"

---bit of a rant---

I swear... The only thing worse than trying to figure out what the hell
some people high up in the government are doing is figuring out what
they are doing "local". City council positions are up this election.
There are like 8 names for possible candidates, it says, "Pick three". I
found vague references on two of them, but nothing substantial, a
facebook page for one, which suggest they are "family values" oriented,
which is a buzz phrase in the US for, "Batshit insane, probably
Republican, and definitely right wing.", one comment in a news article
where a candidate basically claimed liberals where crazy, and scared of
the Tea Party (which, of course, means she escalated herself into the,
"Even more insane than the facebook person, who might just have a vague
position, which happens to echo rhetoric from the loonies."), and one
reference to a candidate, which involved their association with
education groups. That last one was the only one that came even *close*
to representing a policy position.

How the hell do you vote sane people into office, and vote out the
morons, if they all think that the only thing you need to know about
them, when making a decision, was... nothing? Not even, in the case of
the council, what party they are in, which at least, would suggest
*something* about their positions, even if not much.

But, that isn't the worst part. Nearly everyone else on all other
categories are nearly as bad, some of them having nothing more than a
page saying, "This person is a candidate, but has made no statements
about anything at all, while running." Given this is Arizona, and the
law, idiotically, doesn't let you vote in the primary for anyone not in
your own party (wouldn't want people wasting their vote, by picking the
less insane candidate from the other party, and thus causing that party
to not get what they think is best for them.", or some insane argument.
The second election, you get to pick between their bloviating idiot, and
yours though, which usually means a right wing nutcase, and a
"middle-right Democrat"... But, even if you only get one name, how the
hell are you supposed to figure out if they are any better or worse than
the other side's pick, if all they have is a blank page, a picture, and
***nothing*** about what they stand for? Its like they think: "Well, its
a choice between what ever Democrat means, and the right, so of course
they will vote for me." No.. You might be crazier than they are, but I
can't tell, because you won't take a stand on anything.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 5 Aug 2012 18:16:48
Message: <501ef0d0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.08.2012 21:25, schrieb Patrick Elliott:

> How the hell do you vote sane people into office, and vote out the
> morons, if they all think that the only thing you need to know about
> them, when making a decision, was... nothing?

Mandatory viewing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1LLsw1lcuA

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Aug 2012 16:20:24
Message: <50202708@news.povray.org>
On 8/5/2012 3:16 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 05.08.2012 21:25, schrieb Patrick Elliott:
>
>> How the hell do you vote sane people into office, and vote out the
>> morons, if they all think that the only thing you need to know about
>> them, when making a decision, was... nothing?
>
> Mandatory viewing:
>
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1LLsw1lcuA

Yes, well.. The problem here is that one of the people that is a serious
nutter is trying to get voted in, I still don't know jack about the ones
that are in, and even less about any of the others trying to get in. You
could vote them all out, and, in the current Tea Party happy land of the
US, end up voting in the American version of some horrible cross between
the Taliban, Ayn Rand, and the Pope. You can, at that point, pretty much
screw your health care, economics, and social freedoms all goodby, in
one stroke, in favor of getting to kiss the ass of some rich assholes,
like who ever thought that the economic prosperity of my city would best
be served not by encouraging some sort of industry into the city, but
building 50 foot metal, decorating, cages, filled with river rocks, so
they had a new place to hang a sign or two, during some city event (at
who the hell knows how much money they cost...)

The only thing stupider I have seen a city do was one in California
which page some nut several million for horrible metal sculptures, a few
barrel shaped "wind chimes" for the main street, and some bluish lit
glass path, supposedly a "stream down the center of the street", in the
separator between sides, which, unless you where flying, you couldn't
see, even if you had the time, while fighting traffic, to see in the
first place.

Since then, they have lost three malls, both movie theaters, and.. I
think next week they are considering how to deport the city, on the
grounds its forgotten how to speak anything other than Spanish.
(Kidding, but seriously, almost no one there is a non-latino any more.)

Here... there seems to be a sort of strange split personality, between
the people that could keep the city alive, and are under 50, and the
"retired", who, well.. being retired, don't exactly contribute to new
business. You could replace the entirely younger population with robots,
and it probably wouldn't even change how much they already complain
about their receipt not matching the prices they didn't read in the
first place, or how noisy X people where, or what is wrong with some
other thing, etc.

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 7 Aug 2012 07:58:34
Message: <502102ea$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-08-04 17:59, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> "Natural Born [American] Citizen" is used to denote someone who received
> their citizenship by being born here.

Unless, of course, their father was a Kenyan student.

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Aug 2012 13:10:25
Message: <50214c01@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 07:58:23 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Le 2012-08-04 17:59, Jim Henderson a écrit :
>> "Natural Born [American] Citizen" is used to denote someone who
>> received their citizenship by being born here.
>
> Unless, of course, their father was a Kenyan student.

Um, no, Obama was actually born in Hawaii.

(Or are you making a joke?)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Aug 2012 14:37:17
Message: <5021605d$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/08/2012 6:10 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> (Or are you making a joke?)

Sounds like a joke to me. A dig at a certain Arizonan lawman.

--
Regards
     Stephen