POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Aug 2012 15:05:48
Message: <501ec40c$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2012 11:22 AM, andrel wrote:
> On 4-8-2012 6:02, waggy wrote:
>> Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure. But that doesn't help *me* read it. I always seem to have trouble
>>> getting my hands on interesting papers and stuff...
>>
>> At my university, I have to deliver two printed copies to the school
>> library.
>
> I had about 300 IIRC. Different system. Ours is better ;)
>
>> I must also deliver an electronic copy to a commercial online
>> publisher to make
>> available through their private (paid) service. Registering a
>> copyright and
>> providing open access are add-on costs for the author.
>
> I thought that even the USA had gone over to the sensible system that
> everything one writes is automatically copyrighted.

Not entirely sure that I would call the US "sensible" in this case,
since what it means in reality is "perpetual copyright", the resent BS
from SCOTUS that you can re-copyright public works, the near total
elimination of anything ever going public *ever* unless explicitly done,
and finally, the fact that 90% of all works are copyrighted not to the
authors, but whom ever they worked for, while doing it.

The last bit basically means that you, as a programmer, designer,
writer, etc., don't own shit all of anything, unless you are willing to
starve and never take corporate money, until you magically succeed at
something. And, in practical terms, you can't even design a product in
those conditions, without generally being unable to sell it, having to
hand over rights to someone else anyway, and/or having to pay out vast
amount of money, to cover your ass with prior works, patents, etc.

The only thing a published work avoids is that it is a) easier to create
derivatives, in theory, and b) you can't patent it. But, I am sure some
asshole is working on the latter in some special interest group some
place...