POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VR Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  VR (Message 17 to 26 of 26)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: VR
Date: 14 Apr 2015 21:35:39
Message: <552dc06b@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> It seems to combine some AR-type features, I was wondering if it would be
> possible to make a Doom 3 type game with your surroundings re-skinned in a
> Doom theme.

This is exactly the kind of niche feature I'm afraid of. It looks to me
that they are spending *way* too much time and effort on the augmented
reality features. And for what? The average user (like me) is not
interested in those features. AR might be fun to play with... for
perhaps a half hour tops. 99.99% of the usage would be for video games
which do not benefit at all from AR. And I don't think I'm the only one
who is like that.

So putting so much effort on the AR capabilities is just a waste of
time which may raise the price of the device for nothing.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> So putting so much effort on the AR capabilities is just a waste of
> time which may raise the price of the device for nothing.

I like both worlds. I personally would like something that can do everything
from e-mail to casual AR games to full-on fps.

And I'm still waiting for a holodeck.

-Nekar

Post a reply to this message

> Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> It seems to combine some AR-type features, I was wondering if it would be
>> possible to make a Doom 3 type game with your surroundings re-skinned in a
>> Doom theme.
>
> This is exactly the kind of niche feature I'm afraid of. It looks to me
> that they are spending *way* too much time and effort on the augmented
> reality features. And for what? The average user (like me) is not
> interested in those features.

And you know that you're an average user because...?

Matter of fact, we won't know how many people will be interested in AR
until it's actually available and has been experimented with.

Then again, AR has taken off years ago already. QR codes have become
commonplace, for instance. It's strange that people always think of AR
as being strictly tied to 3D.

Post a reply to this message