POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VR : Re: VR Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VR
From: Stephen
Date: 8 May 2015 10:43:31
Message: <554ccb93$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/05/2015 10:35, scott wrote:
>>> If you're using it for playing video games, it's a toy.
>>>

>> I agree with you. Albeit an expensive toy.
>
> Well if the alternative is to buy a space-ship, plane or car in real
> life (plus all the maintenance costs), then it probably works out quite
> a cheap alternative :-)

And in the case of spaceships, more practical. :-)
But if you were using it in an engineering environment. Like the way I
saw engineers at Mercedes fit parts together. That would not be a toy.

>> I tried Google Cardboard on my ancient Galaxy S2. A disaster in Elite as
>> I cleared my save by mistake. But in a couple of the demos it was
>> effective. Not as a 3D viewer because everything was too far away for
>> stereoscopic vision. But for placing you in the centre of a 360 degree
>> viewpoint it was good.
>
> I see now on YouTube there are 360 degree videos that you can look
> around (use the mouse on a computer, or just move your phone around):
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClAuhgFQpLo
>
> I don't know whether this works with any VR headset at the moment, but
> can imagine that's the plan.

I had a look at the video and I don't think that would work with the
Rift. You need two side by side images taken from a slightly different
angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlx-ooZv5qA

--

Regards