POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physically based rendering Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Physically based rendering (Message 54 to 63 of 63)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Physically based rendering
Date: 2 Jul 2015 12:16:38
Message: <559563e6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.07.2015 um 10:25 schrieb scott:
>> - Always use "fresnel on" for reflections (don't forget to specify
>> "ior"), or "metallic on" where applicable, and always use 0.0 for the
>> minimum reflection (or leave it out, specifying the maximum reflection
>> only).
>
> If you are using fresnel, is it valid (from a PBR point of view) to even
> scale the results using a maximum reflection other than 1?

Absolutely - if, for instance, your surface is littered with
non-specular material at a microscopic level. Fine rust on iron steel,
for instance, or a thin coating of dust.

In those cases it might be better, however, to use an average of two
materials.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 18:16:23 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> Am 02.07.2015 um 10:25 schrieb scott:
>>> - Always use "fresnel on" for reflections (don't forget to specify
>>> "ior"), or "metallic on" where applicable, and always use 0.0 for the
>>> minimum reflection (or leave it out, specifying the maximum reflection
>>> only).
>>
>> If you are using fresnel, is it valid (from a PBR point of view) to even
>> scale the results using a maximum reflection other than 1?
>
> Absolutely - if, for instance, your surface is littered with
> non-specular material at a microscopic level. Fine rust on iron steel,
> for instance, or a thin coating of dust.
>
> In those cases it might be better, however, to use an average of two
> materials.

What about plastic? It reflects, but it's not highly reflective. I don't
think I would go higher than 0.5 maximum reflection on plastic.
--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message