POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physically based rendering : Re: Physically based rendering Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:08:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically based rendering
From: clipka
Date: 3 Jul 2015 09:36:08
Message: <55968fc8@news.povray.org>
Am 03.07.2015 um 05:08 schrieb Nekar Xenos:

>>> If you are using fresnel, is it valid (from a PBR point of view) to even
>>> scale the results using a maximum reflection other than 1?
>>
>> Absolutely - if, for instance, your surface is littered with
>> non-specular material at a microscopic level. Fine rust on iron steel,
>> for instance, or a thin coating of dust.
>>
>> In those cases it might be better, however, to use an average of two
>> materials.
>>

> What about plastic? It reflects, but it's not highly reflective. I don't
> think I would go higher than 0.5 maximum reflection on plastic.

For plastics - and actually any material that's neither metallic nor
coated - I think heavily blurred reflections and a well-chosen ior are
the key, not reducing the reflection maximum.

With a high ior, the maximum reflection only occurs when viewing the
material almost edge-on. And with blurred reflections, even there the
maximum isn't truly achieved, as the effective reflection brightness is
tuned down by averaging in reflections at a less shallow effective angle.

BTW, the ior of most plastics is in the range from 1.5 to 1.6.