POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Real or Render? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Real or Render? (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Real or Render?
Date: 23 May 2011 18:13:22
Message: <4ddadc02@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 23 May 2011 15:15:15 -0400, nemesis wrote:

>> > didn't look like Terragen, just an edited photo.
>>
>> Doesn't look anything like a photo to me, as others pointed out, apart
>> from the sizes being completely wrong no matter where you are in the
>> world, there are other significant issues with the image that make it a
>> physical impossibility.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/northpole.asp
>
> amusing.  You search for "north pole sunset" in both google and flickr
> and several copies of that image come up.

Yeah, amazing that Google pulls up results that are not just photographs,
isn't it? ;)

> I don't see any particular "significant issues with the image that make
> it a physical impossibility" with it though, apart from the sizes, which
> could be edited.  Specially in the face of HDR photography making photos
> look like CG, like this one with 3 min exposure:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelpixcomau/5452674118/

That one looks real to me.

Now in terms of the OP, the size of the moon in the image is physically
impossible compared to the size of the sun.  There is no place on the
Earth that the moon will photograph as that large without some sort of
photo trickery.  None - absolutely NONE.

There are times the moon *looks* larger than it really is due to
atmospheric distortions, but never on such a huge scale.

Then there's the position of the crescent itself - as Stephen pointed
out.  The only place it would orient that way relative to the horizon is
at the equator, not at the north pole.

Then there's the water, as Warp said, even with global warming, there's
just far too much water for it to be really at the north pole.

Everything about that image screams "fake" to me.  There's something
about the way the horizon is lit that doesn't look right to me, either.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:

>>> didn't look like Terragen, just an edited photo.
>>
>> Doesn't look anything like a photo to me, as others pointed out, apart
>> from the sizes being completely wrong no matter where you are in the
>> world, there are other significant issues with the image that make it a
>> physical impossibility.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/northpole.asp
>
> amusing.  You search for "north pole sunset" in both google and flickr and
> several copies of that image come up.
>
> I don't see any particular "significant issues with the image that make it a
> physical impossibility" with it though, apart from the sizes, which could be
> edited.

The Moon's crescent is supposed to be perpendicular to Earth's orbit
(the contribution of the angle of the Moon's own orbital plane being
negligible).  If this were real, it would have to be combination of two
pictures: one picture of the Moon taken near the equator, and one
picture of the snowy mountains and water taken near the North or South
pole, for a sufficiently large value of "near".

(Besides, someon else already pointed out the author's massive gallery
of Terragen-made images)