POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Searching newsgroup Server Time
2 Dec 2021 14:21:04 EST (-0500)
  Searching newsgroup (Message 1 to 10 of 10)  
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Searching newsgroup
Date: 14 Jan 2021 15:55:49
Message: <6000afd5$1@news.povray.org>
How do I search for old messages/threads in this newsgroup using 
Thunderbird? I cannot get any results older than from 2019. I have to 
use the Web interface to search for older posts. Thanks.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 15 Jan 2021 08:25:05
Message: <web.6001970b56d9349fe19bff920@news.povray.org>
Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> How do I search for old messages/threads in this newsgroup using
> Thunderbird? I cannot get any results older than from 2019. I have to
> use the Web interface to search for older posts. Thanks.

IIRC Thunderbird can only search through messages that it has downloaded. You
will have to coerce it to download a greater number of messages than it does by
default.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com
https://github.com/t-o-k


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 15 Jan 2021 17:44:14
Message: <60021abe@news.povray.org>
It is strange because there is an "Perform search on server" option. I 
guess the option has a different purpose than I believed.


Mike


On 1/15/2021 8:22 AM, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> How do I search for old messages/threads in this newsgroup using
>> Thunderbird? I cannot get any results older than from 2019. I have to
>> use the Web interface to search for older posts. Thanks.
> 
> IIRC Thunderbird can only search through messages that it has downloaded. You
> will have to coerce it to download a greater number of messages than it does by
> default.
> 
> --
> Tor Olav
> http://subcube.com
> https://github.com/t-o-k
> 
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 16 Jan 2021 11:07:42
Message: <60030f4e@news.povray.org>
Le 2021-01-14 à 15:55, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> How do I search for old messages/threads in this newsgroup using
> Thunderbird? I cannot get any results older than from 2019. I have to
> use the Web interface to search for older posts. Thanks.
>
>
> Mike
>
due to centrifugal forces, older messages have flown away from the edges 
of the HD and there are now a pile of ones and zeroes at the bottom of 
the server.

This is why Unix file systems have a sticky bit for important OS files.

(Paraphrased from an old USENET FAQ)

-- 
/*Francois Labreque*/#local a=x+y;#local b=x+a;#local c=a+b;#macro P(F//
/*    flabreque    */L)polygon{5,F,F+z,L+z,L,F pigment{rgb 9}}#end union
/*        @        */{P(0,a)P(a,b)P(b,c)P(2*a,2*b)P(2*b,b+c)P(b+c,<2,3>)
/*   gmail.com     */}camera{orthographic location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a }

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 16 Jan 2021 13:24:17
Message: <60032f51$1@news.povray.org>
Sorry, I misunderstood one of the menus in Thunderbird. I thought it was 
possible to search directly on the newsgroup server without downloading 
all the messages FIRST. I was wrong.


Mike


On 1/16/2021 11:07 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Le 2021-01-14 à 15:55, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> How do I search for old messages/threads in this newsgroup using
>> Thunderbird? I cannot get any results older than from 2019. I have to
>> use the Web interface to search for older posts. Thanks.
>>
>>
>> Mike
>>
> due to centrifugal forces, older messages have flown away from the edges 
> of the HD and there are now a pile of ones and zeroes at the bottom of 
> the server.
> 
> This is why Unix file systems have a sticky bit for important OS files.
> 
> (Paraphrased from an old USENET FAQ)
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 16 Jan 2021 13:26:11
Message: <60032fc3@news.povray.org>
On 15.01.2021 23:44, Mike Horvath wrote:
> It is strange because there is an "Perform search on server" option. I 
> guess the option has a different purpose than I believed.

This is an unclear setting in Thunderbird: The server side search is an 
(almost) standard feature of IMAP mail servers. The search offers you to 
select basically every mailbox and newsgroup you have, but it isn't 
disabled when you only select newsgroups. It actually isn't even 
disabled if an IMAP server does not offer this feature, or even if you 
have only (local) POP3 mailboxes to search.

Thorsten

PS: Sorry for the email! Another insane feature of TB is the reply 
button actually sending emails and the user having to use the followup 
button. A "feature" added a few versions ago and extremely annoying 
because it really isn't appropriate for a newsreader.


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 16 Jan 2021 13:49:21
Message: <60033531$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 19:26:11 +0100, Thorsten wrote:

> This is an unclear setting in Thunderbird: The server side search is an
> (almost) standard feature of IMAP mail servers. The search offers you to
> select basically every mailbox and newsgroup you have, but it isn't
> disabled when you only select newsgroups. It actually isn't even
> disabled if an IMAP server does not offer this feature, or even if you
> have only (local) POP3 mailboxes to search.

NNTP also has a feature, but the implementation varies from server to 
server in some respects - some require that the server have certain 
indexing enabled for XHDR to work, but I don't think I've ever seen an 
NNTP implementation that implements full text search.

FWIW.



-- 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and 
besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw


Post a reply to this message

From: Hj  Malthaner
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 18 Jan 2021 22:54:31
Message: <600657f7$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/16/21 5:07 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Le 2021-01-14 à 15:55, Mike Horvath a écrit :

> due to centrifugal forces, older messages have flown away from the edges 
> of the HD and there are now a pile of ones and zeroes at the bottom of 
> the server.
> 
> This is why Unix file systems have a sticky bit for important OS files.

Also 1s and 0s must be spread evenly or the more energetic 1s (energy = 
mass = inertia) will cause imbalance of the disk stack.

-- 
Some of my PovRay works:
https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 18 Jan 2021 23:01:08
Message: <60065984$1@news.povray.org>
Just to be clear, the old messages should still be on the server. You 
can access all of them using the Web interface, AFAIK.


Mike



On 1/18/2021 10:54 PM, Hj. Malthaner wrote:
> On 1/16/21 5:07 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>> Le 2021-01-14 à 15:55, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> 
>> due to centrifugal forces, older messages have flown away from the 
>> edges of the HD and there are now a pile of ones and zeroes at the 
>> bottom of the server.
>>
>> This is why Unix file systems have a sticky bit for important OS files.
> 
> Also 1s and 0s must be spread evenly or the more energetic 1s (energy = 
> mass = inertia) will cause imbalance of the disk stack.
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Searching newsgroup
Date: 19 Jan 2021 07:08:20
Message: <6006cbb4$1@news.povray.org>
On 19.01.2021 05:01, Mike Horvath wrote:
> Just to be clear, the old messages should still be on the server. You 
> can access all of them using the Web interface, AFAIK.

They are also accessible via NNTP. The web interface (which I programmed 
almost two decades ago) is just a newsreader and mirrors what the NNTP 
server does.

The reload mechanism simply moved the Thunderbird. I looked for it: You 
right-click on the group in Thunderbild and then find it in the conext 
menu under "Properties" in the tabs "Retention Policy" and 
"Synchronization".

Also note that the messages in p.off-topic are in fact deleted after a 
few weeks from the server.

Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.