POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HIPAA Server Time
4 May 2024 23:36:52 EDT (-0400)
  HIPAA (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: dick balaska
Subject: HIPAA
Date: 8 Feb 2018 19:10:15
Message: <5a7ce6e7$1@news.povray.org>
My son had tarsal coalitions, (bones in his feet fused together) and we
started that journey with a gait analysis.
http://pics.buckosoft.com/pic?b2005062205

I was excited to get a copy of the data. I thought I could POV-Ray the
data.  The hospital said they couldn't give me the data because of
HIPAA.  I asked the nurse what she meant. She said HIPAA was about data
privacy.  I said, no, the "P" in HIPAA actually means Portability, and
you have to provide me with the data in a reasonable format that I can
take to another health care provider. No vendor lock-in.  I was getting
upset, on principle, by then, because they were idiots. My wife was
trying to distract me from my quest and calm me down.

I pointed out they were actually in violation of HIPAA.  That got their
attention a little.  So they come back with "we can't give you the data
because we can't get it off of the machine."  I asked "what is the point
of the ethernet connection to the machine?"

Anyway, checkmate. I lost.

As we're leaving, they asked my wife to sign a waiver so they could use
the data for training purposes.  I overheard this and lost my shit.  I
was foaming. I screamed, "how can you use the data for training if you
can't get it off the machine!?!?"

My wife grabbed my arm and dragged me out ranting.

Then we went for ice cream.

--
dik
Rendered 920576 of 921600 pixels (99%)

Post a reply to this message

On 09/02/2018 00:10, dick balaska wrote:
> My son had tarsal coalitions, (bones in his feet fused together) and we
> started that journey with a gait analysis.
> http://pics.buckosoft.com/pic?b2005062205
>
> I was excited to get a copy of the data. I thought I could POV-Ray the
> data.  The hospital said they couldn't give me the data because of
> HIPAA.  I asked the nurse what she meant. She said HIPAA was about data
> privacy.  I said, no, the "P" in HIPAA actually means Portability, and
> you have to provide me with the data in a reasonable format that I can
> take to another health care provider. No vendor lock-in.  I was getting
> upset, on principle, by then, because they were idiots. My wife was
> trying to distract me from my quest and calm me down.
>
> I pointed out they were actually in violation of HIPAA.  That got their
> attention a little.  So they come back with "we can't give you the data
> because we can't get it off of the machine."  I asked "what is the point
> of the ethernet connection to the machine?"
>
> Anyway, checkmate. I lost.
>
> As we're leaving, they asked my wife to sign a waiver so they could use
> the data for training purposes.  I overheard this and lost my shit.  I
> was foaming. I screamed, "how can you use the data for training if you
> can't get it off the machine!?!?"
>
> My wife grabbed my arm and dragged me out ranting.
>
> Then we went for ice cream.

How frustrating. You should apply for your data in writing.

I can understand you losing it when the other person is just plain wrong
and being obstructive.
I got the brush off by being told that the tech was too busy setting the
machine up for the next patient. But then I don't think I would be
publishing images of my guts and bahookie. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 19:10:15 -0500, dick balaska wrote:

> My son had tarsal coalitions, (bones in his feet fused together) and we
> started that journey with a gait analysis.
> http://pics.buckosoft.com/pic?b2005062205
>
> I was excited to get a copy of the data. I thought I could POV-Ray the
> data.  The hospital said they couldn't give me the data because of
> HIPAA.  I asked the nurse what she meant. She said HIPAA was about data
> privacy.  I said, no, the "P" in HIPAA actually means Portability, and
> you have to provide me with the data in a reasonable format that I can
> take to another health care provider. No vendor lock-in.  I was getting
> upset, on principle, by then, because they were idiots. My wife was
> trying to distract me from my quest and calm me down.
>
> I pointed out they were actually in violation of HIPAA.  That got their
> attention a little.  So they come back with "we can't give you the data
> because we can't get it off of the machine."  I asked "what is the point
> of the ethernet connection to the machine?"
>
> Anyway, checkmate. I lost.
>
> As we're leaving, they asked my wife to sign a waiver so they could use
> the data for training purposes.  I overheard this and lost my shit.  I
> was foaming. I screamed, "how can you use the data for training if you
> can't get it off the machine!?!?"
>
> My wife grabbed my arm and dragged me out ranting.
>
> Then we went for ice cream.

Sheesh.  That's just crazy.