POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another random suggestion Server Time
26 Jun 2024 22:08:41 EDT (-0400)
  Another random suggestion (Message 56 to 65 of 75)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: Another random suggestion
Date: 17 Mar 2017 14:26:37
Message: <58cc2a5d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2017-03-17 12:48, also sprach Stephen:
> On 3/17/2017 4:07 PM, dick balaska wrote:

>> That cuts both ways.  There was a Yale professor who wrote that maybe it
>> might be ok to wear a Halloween costume that may be considered mildly
>> offensive, and the snowflakes were not interested in the conversation;
>> and ran her, and her husband, out of town.
>> (I blame the parents, who have completely sheltered these kids their
>> entire lives.)
>>

> I blame the Americans who turned a cheap children's diversion into a
> money making racket.
> When I was a kid you got nuts and fruit for performing a party trick.
>
> Not for demanding money with menace.

Are you referencing Halloween specifically?

I am very disappointed with my generation.  As a teen in the 70s, we had
the most freedom of any generation of kids *ever*.  And we turned that
into being the worst overprotective helicopter parents.

We totally distrusted government (Nixon!) and now are totally fine with
government surveillance and F-15s buzzing the CT coastline because "they
are keeping us safe". Me: "Wtf?!? Safe from what!?"

--
dik

Post a reply to this message

On 3/17/2017 6:26 PM, dick balaska wrote:
> Am 2017-03-17 12:48, also sprach Stephen:

>> I blame the Americans who turned a cheap children's diversion into a
>> money making racket.
>> When I was a kid you got nuts and fruit for performing a party trick.
>>
>> Not for demanding money with menace.
>
> Are you referencing Halloween specifically?

Yes Halloween specifically. And maybe Christmas and Easter and... ;)

> I am very disappointed with my generation.  As a teen in the 70s, we had
> the most freedom of any generation of kids *ever*.  And we turned that
> into being the worst overprotective helicopter parents.

Same here. I have a decade on you. In the 70s the world was getting
better and by the 80's the rot set in. At least here in the UK. Greed
was the order of the day. The family silver silver sold of to the
friends of the politicians. Grr! I must take another beta blocker. ;)

> We totally distrusted government (Nixon!) and now are totally fine with
> government surveillance and F-15s buzzing the CT coastline because "they
> are keeping us safe". Me: "Wtf?!? Safe from what!?"

Thinking about how to things properly?

--

Regards
     Stephen