POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another random suggestion : Re: Another random suggestion Server Time
29 Jun 2024 14:50:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another random suggestion
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Mar 2017 02:00:55
Message: <58ce1e97$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 14:26:37 -0400, dick balaska wrote:

> I am very disappointed with my generation.  As a teen in the 70s, we had
> the most freedom of any generation of kids *ever*.  And we turned that
> into being the worst overprotective helicopter parents.

Indeed - I was a teen in the 80s, but I feel the same way.  I was talking
to someone at a brewery this evening who it turned out grew up not far
from where I did in Minnesota at about the same time - remembering that
during the non-winter months, we might have ridden our bikes to school,
even though it was *gasp* a couple miles away.  Today, parents are
sometimes accused of *child abuse* for allowing their kids that kind of
freedom.

It's fucking stupid.

How do we expect our kids to be sane in today's world if they aren't
allowed to take risks and if they aren't allowed to fail?  I fear for an
entire generation of people who are given "achievement awards" that are
really "participation awards" because everyone has to feel like a winner
- and then they get their first job, fuck up *really badly* and get fired
for it.  How do you cope with something like that if you never learned as
a kid how to?

Some will go out, get a gun, return to the workplace, and shoot a bunch
of people - probably before shooting themselves.

It's pretty obviously not a good thing for mental health.  Everyone needs
to learn how to fail with grace - and that failure is often a great
teacher.

Jim