POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday Quote Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:06:37 EDT (-0400)
  Friday Quote (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: clipka
Subject: Friday Quote
Date: 15 Jul 2016 07:24:44
Message: <5788c7fc$1@news.povray.org>
"The dumbest question is the one you don't ask."

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Friday Reply
Date: 15 Jul 2016 07:42:47
Message: <5788cc37$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/15/2016 12:24 PM, clipka wrote:
> "The dumbest question is the one you don't ask."

There are no dumb questions only dumb answers.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Friday Reply
Date: 15 Jul 2016 08:24:34
Message: <5788d602@news.povray.org>
Am 15.07.2016 um 13:42 schrieb Stephen:
> On 7/15/2016 12:24 PM, clipka wrote:
>> "The dumbest question is the one you don't ask."
>
> There are no dumb questions only dumb answers.

That's what I was told as a kid, too, but pondering the above quote I
think it must be revised: You cannot /ask/ dumb questions -- but all the
questions you /don't/ ask are, indeed, kinda dumb.

Post a reply to this message

>>> "The dumbest question is the one you don't ask."
>>
>> There are no dumb questions only dumb answers.
>
> That's what I was told as a kid, too, but pondering the above quote I
> think it must be revised: You cannot /ask/ dumb questions -- but all the
> questions you /don't/ ask are, indeed, kinda dumb.

i was taught to question everything ... but now a days you'd be
surprised (well maybe not) how many people will wait for someone else to
go first

Post a reply to this message

>>> "The dumbest question is the one you don't ask."
>>
>> There are no dumb questions only dumb answers.
>
> That's what I was told as a kid, too, but pondering the above quote I
> think it must be revised: You cannot /ask/ dumb questions -- but all the
> questions you /don't/ ask are, indeed, kinda dumb.

I must confess that I am wrong about dumb questions.
The phrase I heard was there are no stupid questions. Dumb questions are
a different matter entirely.

I think that we are using "dumb" differently. When it is not about
silence it is about reducing the intellectual contend. As in dumbing down.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> There are no dumb questions only dumb answers.
>>
>> That's what I was told as a kid, too, but pondering the above quote I
>> think it must be revised: You cannot /ask/ dumb questions -- but all the
>> questions you /don't/ ask are, indeed, kinda dumb.
>>

> I must confess that I am wrong about dumb questions.
> The phrase I heard was there are no stupid questions. Dumb questions are
> a different matter entirely.
>

> I think that we are using "dumb" differently. When it is not about
> silence it is about reducing the intellectual contend. As in dumbing down.

AmE vs. BrE?

(Which brings me to the question, will that be AmE vs. EnE vs. ScE in
the future?)

Post a reply to this message