POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Skyrim Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Skyrim (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Skyrim
Date: 24 Jan 2016 06:15:57
Message: <56a4b26d$1@news.povray.org>
So just before Christmas, I bought Skyrim. You know, to see what all the
fuss is about. Since this is apparently the best game that has ever been
made in the history of human existence...

In summary, Skyrim is identical to Fallout, except that instead of a
boring post-apocalyptic wasteland, it's a somewhat less boring Norse
wasteland. With dragons, for some reason.

It's interesting the number of names that have to have "dragon" in them.
It's like somebody is trying to be Tolkien, and failing. Dragonborn,
dragonstone, dragonsreach... Do you realise, the Jarl of Whiterun
employs a wizard named "Farengar Secret-Fire"? There's nothing more to
say about *that*...

The trouble with these mythical lands, much like Tolkien, is that all
the nouns sound so utterly identical that it's *really hard* to follow
what the *hell* is going on! Several times I wished there was some way
to replay what some character said, because I can't remember what it
was. (Or rather, I can't remember what the psuedo-Norse nouns were!)

The currency of Fallout is bottle caps, and you will never, ever have
even remotely enough of them. And even if you do, the stuff you want to
buy won't be available to purchase anyway. The currency of Skyrim is
gold coins. Now a *gold* coin sounds like it should be worth a hell of a
lot... but apparently it isn't. I guess because they're so ubiquitous or
something? Like, 1 apple is worth 1 gold coin. (Sometimes.)

In Fallout, the problem is that you'll never find anything valuable to
sell. In Skyrim, the problem is that you'll never find anybody who can
afford to buy your stuff off you. Like, I found a magical staff that the
game reckons is worth about 3,000 gold coins. I have yet to meet a
merchant of any kind who has more than 500 gold coins in total. So this
extremely valuable item appears to be totally illiquid.

Trying to amass 5,000 gold to buy a house was... challenging. There's an
achievement for managing to own 100,000 gold. From what I've seen so
far, you would actually, like, *win* something IRL for that!

Even just figuring out who to sell which items to is entirely
nontrivial. In Fallout, there is (as far as I can tell) only one trading
post in the entire world, and they buy and sell anything. In Whiterun
alone, there's a general goods place, an alchemy place and a hunting
supplies place. (There's also meant to be a blacksmith; I really need to
find that guy...)

One big difference between Fallout and Skyrim is that there are no guns.
The only way to hurt somebody is to physically walk up to them and hit
them with a mace. Apparently a lot of people have commented that combat
sucks in Skyrim, and I kinda agree; it looks more like you're swiping
air than actually doing damage, no matter what the health bar says.

I have no idea what a "draugr" is, but Bleak Falls Barrow is full of
them. And they're surprisingly hard to kill. It seems health
spontaneously regenerates on its own, so you just need to stand around
and suck your thumb for a while after you kill one. But if several
attack you at once, you have a problem!

Actually, it turns out there's quite a few caves and barrows scattered
around the place where you can go underground and loot stuff. And
they're almost all infested with draugrs. (Although I did manage to find
one cave that was spiders and mages.)

Trying to beat the draugr overlord of Bleak Falls Barrow was an exercise
in frustration. He's just unkillable! If you get close enough to swing a
mace at him, he'll cut you to bits before you can do anything to him.
Eventually, in desperation, I tried using magic. I knew from early on in
the game that magic existed, but I had assumed it would be extremely
complex and fiddly to use, and utterly useless in combat. It turns out
it's actually quite effective. To the point that I now no longer bother
carrying any weapons at all; I just set people on fire from afar.

None of that helps, of course, when you're occasionally required to kill
a dragon. Now those critters really *are* unkillable! It seems the only
way to harm them is with a bow and arrow - a weapon roughly as accurate
as a paper aeroplane. And it does roughly the same damage as a small
sheet of paper too. And has incredibly disappointing range. The dragon,
of course, breathes fire. (Except the ones that breathe ice? Wuh?)

So far, I've only managed to kill two in the entire game. Which is
problematic, because apparently I need another dragon soul to complete
the next step in one of the side-quests. That means it looks like I need
to go purposely *find* a dragon and kill it - and that's just crazy
talk. I don't know, maybe I just need to gather better gear or
something... but I have *no idea* what would actually help at this
point. Dragons are immune to just about everything except arrows, and
nothing increases their damage, accuracy or range, so...

Much like Fallout, it's quite hard to avoid all the people who dot the
land. Which is a problem, since whenever you meet a person, there's a
50% chance they'll try to kill you on sight. At least it's harder to get
lost in Skyrim; the scenery is much less repetitive.

It seems there's still lots more to learn about the game. (Alchemy,
enchantments, how to learn new spells, etc.) But for now, I've got two
quests open, and they're both stalled. One requires me to use a new
Thu'um I just learned, which apparently requires a dragon soul. (Yeah,
like those are easy to find.) The other requires me to infiltrate a
party somehow. Rather, I can get in, but then I need to create a
distraction somehow, and I've got no clue. I also need to figure out
what equipment I need to smuggle in, *before* I get there, so I don't
know what I'll need yet. I suspect that picking the wrong stuff makes
the quest impossible.

Oh well. Let's go watch the sunset or something...

Post a reply to this message

On 1/24/2016 11:16 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> It's interesting the number of names that have to have "dragon" in them.

My next door neighbour is called Dragan. </Trivia>

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On 1/24/2016 6:16 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> [...]
> 50% chance they'll try to kill you on sight. At least it's harder to get
> lost in Skyrim; the scenery is much less repetitive.
>
> It seems there's still lots more to learn about the game. (Alchemy,
> enchantments, how to learn new spells, etc.) But for now, I've got two
> quests open, and they're both stalled. One requires me to use a new
> Thu'um I just learned, which apparently requires a dragon soul. (Yeah,
> like those are easy to find.) The other requires me to infiltrate a
> party somehow. Rather, I can get in, but then I need to create a
> distraction somehow, and I've got no clue. I also need to figure out
> what equipment I need to smuggle in, *before* I get there, so I don't
> know what I'll need yet. I suspect that picking the wrong stuff makes
> the quest impossible.
>
> Oh well. Let's go watch the sunset or something...

You should play Fallout New Vegas, not Fallout 3.

Also, a lot of people called Fallout 3 "Oblivion with Guns" when it was
released, after the previous Elder Scrolls game.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> The trouble with these mythical lands, much like Tolkien, is that all
> the nouns sound so utterly identical that it's *really hard* to follow
> what the *hell* is going on!

I wonder where they got a silly idea like that!

BedfordshireBerkshire
Buckinghamshire
Cambridgeshire
Cheshire
Derbyshire
Gloucestershire
Hampshire
Herefordshire
Hertfordshire <--- 1 whole character different!
Lancashire
Leicestershire
Lincolnshire
Northamptonshire