POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Skyrim Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Skyrim (Message 11 to 20 of 37)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Skyrim
Date: 25 Jan 2016 14:29:41
Message: <56a677a5@news.povray.org>
Am 25.01.2016 um 11:30 schrieb scott:

> Yes they are all pronouneable if you know how to pronounce them :-) Ever
> heard foreigners trying to pronounce the ones with "cester" in them? I
> still find place names around here that I have no idea how to pronounce
> correctly, or worse find out I've been saying them wrong, and I was born
> here! Imagine what it's like for foreigners...

Bah - English place names are boring. Ever tried Irish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwstj9FJHGg

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Jan 2016 15:17:16
Message: <56a682cc$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 20:29:35 +0100, clipka wrote:

> Am 25.01.2016 um 11:30 schrieb scott:
>
>> Yes they are all pronouneable if you know how to pronounce them :-)
>> Ever heard foreigners trying to pronounce the ones with "cester" in
>> them? I still find place names around here that I have no idea how to
>> pronounce correctly, or worse find out I've been saying them wrong, and
>> I was born here! Imagine what it's like for foreigners...
>
> Bah - English place names are boring. Ever tried Irish?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwstj9FJHGg

Welsh FTW. :)

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Jim

From: clipka
Date: 25 Jan 2016 16:11:31
Message: <56a68f83$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.01.2016 um 21:17 schrieb Jim Henderson:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 20:29:35 +0100, clipka wrote:
>
>> Am 25.01.2016 um 11:30 schrieb scott:
>>
>>> Yes they are all pronouneable if you know how to pronounce them :-)
>>> Ever heard foreigners trying to pronounce the ones with "cester" in
>>> them? I still find place names around here that I have no idea how to
>>> pronounce correctly, or worse find out I've been saying them wrong, and
>>> I was born here! Imagine what it's like for foreigners...
>>
>> Bah - English place names are boring. Ever tried Irish?
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwstj9FJHGg
>
> Welsh FTW. :)
>
> Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Not really /that/ difficult. Once you've figured out what sound the "ll"
and "w" correspond to, it's pretty straightforward to pronounce. /Very/
straightforward actually, IIRC.

Irish - not so much.

Also that particular place name ist just there for the tourists, and is
actually a concatenation of two very verbose descriptive place names:
"St. Mary's [Church] by the White Aspen over the Whirlpool by
Whathaveyounot and St. Tysilio's [Church] by the Damnedifiremember", or
something along those lines. (And yes, that was from 20 year old memory.)

Post a reply to this message