POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Skyrim : Re: Skyrim Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skyrim
From: clipka
Date: 26 Jan 2016 02:38:51
Message: <56a7228b@news.povray.org>
Am 26.01.2016 um 01:59 schrieb Jim Henderson:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 22:11:25 +0100, clipka wrote:

>>> Welsh FTW. :)
>>>
>>> Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
>>
>> Not really /that/ difficult. Once you've figured out what sound the "ll"
>> and "w" correspond to, it's pretty straightforward to pronounce. /Very/
>> straightforward actually, IIRC.
>>
>> Irish - not so much.
>>
>> Also that particular place name ist just there for the tourists, and is
>> actually a concatenation of two very verbose descriptive place names:
>> "St. Mary's [Church] by the White Aspen over the Whirlpool by
>> Whathaveyounot and St. Tysilio's [Church] by the Damnedifiremember", or
>> something along those lines. (And yes, that was from 20 year old
>> memory.)
>
> True, then again, you could always try something like Gaelic.

Well... I /vaguely/ recall having mention Irish ;)

> Or for a
> challenge, try a non-Romanized language; Russian, Polish, Hungarian (is
> quite interesting), Japanese, Chinese, or another similar language. :)

I think aside from Chinese (for rather obvious reasons) neither of them
can cope with Irish when it comes to leaving the reader puzzled as to
how an unfamiliar written word is spoken or vice versa, even when said
reader is well-versed in the script(*) used.

That's because Irish is exceptionally unconventional in how it uses the
latin script to render the language's phonemes.