POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Skyrim : Re: Skyrim Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:05:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skyrim
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Jan 2016 10:16:27
Message: <56a78dcb@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 08:38:43 +0100, clipka wrote:

>> True, then again, you could always try something like Gaelic.
>
> Well... I /vaguely/ recall having mention Irish ;)

Which is not quite the same as Gaelic - or rather, Gaelic languages (6
living langauges, a few mixed, and a few nearly dead languages - I know
someone who's one of about 5 people in the world who speak one particular
dialect - in Scotland).

Welsh actually is one of those languages, as is Irish.  Breton, Scotish
Gaelic, Cornish, and Manx are the other living languages.

I can't tell you how many people mispronounce my cats' names - which are
Manx Gaelic (and actually, relatively simple names to pronounce).

>> Or for a challenge, try a non-Romanized language; Russian, Polish,
>> Hungarian (is quite interesting), Japanese, Chinese, or another similar
>> language. :)
>
> I think aside from Chinese (for rather obvious reasons) neither of them
> can cope with Irish when it comes to leaving the reader puzzled as to
> how an unfamiliar written word is spoken or vice versa, even when said
> reader is well-versed in the script(*) used.

Arguably, English itself has some oddities that make pronunciation
difficult for non-native speakers to use.

For example, the made-up word 'ghoti' is often used to describe the
idiosyncrasies of English pronunciation.  (The actual pronunciation of
that made-up word is "fish" - gh from 'tough', o from 'women', ti from
'nation').

> That's because Irish is exceptionally unconventional in how it uses the
> latin script to render the language's phonemes.

Another that strikes me as in a similar class is Catalan - though a fair
amount of the 'misunderstanding' of Catalan vs. European Spanish is less
a lack of understanding based on mispronunciation and more what some
might just term as 'dickishness'. :)

Jim