POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Zazzle print Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:05:02 EDT (-0400)
  Zazzle print (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Zazzle print
Date: 7 Dec 2015 14:55:32
Message: <5665e434$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/7/2015 7:15 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 18:59:10 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Well that is a plus. It is a most ridiculous fashion.
>>
>> Hell yeah! Why not wrap a superfluous piece of fabric around my vital
>> organs. Can't see any way that could be a problem...
>
> Years ago, I worked for a company where the CFO got his tie caught in a
> paper shredder - before paper shredders had an auto-shutoff mechanism.
>
> The way he described it sounded like a wholly terrifying experience.  He
> was able to get it unplugged or turned off before it started to tighten
> the tie too much.  The aftermath on the tie itself was pretty impressive.

I once caught a ring in a door handle and nearly gloved my hand. I've
never worn jewellery (nor ties) since.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Dec 2015 16:10:47
Message: <5665f5d7$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 19:51:12 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 12/7/2015 6:55 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Well that is a plus. It is a most ridiculous fashion.
>>
>> That is something I can agree with, though.  I consider myself quite
>> fortunate in that I don't have to wear one very often at all (so far,
>> very rarely for work, and not on this job), and can work in my sleep
>> clothes most days. :)
>>

> The mind boggles, Jim. Thank you for sharing. :-)
>
> I generally wear one on the first day just to show that I can be
> presentable. Then keep it in a drawer till I leave.

Yeah, I've got a few that I got for interviews when I was interviewing,
but otherwise, I avoid them like the plague.

Jim

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 7 Dec 2015 17:10:48
Message: <566603e8$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/12/2015 07:15 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Years ago, I worked for a company where the CFO got his tie caught in a
> paper shredder - before paper shredders had an auto-shutoff mechanism.

Pfft. My dad tells a tale of one of his school buddies getting his tie
caught in a 4-tonne lathe...

Those things have an emergency stop button for a reason. Fat lot of good
it does if nobody within reach of the button notices the problem.
Fortunately for this guy, somebody pushed the button. Then they just had
to find something to cut the tie with...

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Dec 2015 17:24:02
Message: <56660702$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/7/2015 9:10 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> >I generally wear one on the first day just to show that I can be
>> >presentable. Then keep it in a drawer till I leave.
> Yeah, I've got a few that I got for interviews when I was interviewing,
> but otherwise, I avoid them like the plague.

I've got a few, two of them were owned by Tommy Cooper. My wife bought
them for me at a church fair. His wife donated them. I also bought a
couple of silk ties in Hong Kong one of them with the Happy Mac icon
with arms and legs.
I always use a full Windsor knot if I have to wear one.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Dec 2015 11:58:54
Message: <56670c4e$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 22:10:51 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 07/12/2015 07:15 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Years ago, I worked for a company where the CFO got his tie caught in a
>> paper shredder - before paper shredders had an auto-shutoff mechanism.
>
> Pfft. My dad tells a tale of one of his school buddies getting his tie
> caught in a 4-tonne lathe...

Ouch.  That would suck.

> Those things have an emergency stop button for a reason. Fat lot of good
> it does if nobody within reach of the button notices the problem.
> Fortunately for this guy, somebody pushed the button. Then they just had
> to find something to cut the tie with...

Heh, yeah, that was the problem that CFO had as well - he ended up in a
position where he couldn't reach anything that could shut it off until
after 2/3 of the tie was chewed up.  This was an industrial shredder, not
the kind of thing like I have in the corner of my home office. :)

Jim

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Dec 2015 11:59:02
Message: <56670c56$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 19:55:29 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 12/7/2015 7:15 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Hell yeah! Why not wrap a superfluous piece of fabric around my vital
>>> organs. Can't see any way that could be a problem...
>>
>> Years ago, I worked for a company where the CFO got his tie caught in a
>> paper shredder - before paper shredders had an auto-shutoff mechanism.
>>
>> The way he described it sounded like a wholly terrifying experience.
>> He was able to get it unplugged or turned off before it started to
>> tighten the tie too much.  The aftermath on the tie itself was pretty
>> impressive.
>>
> I once caught a ring in a door handle and nearly gloved my hand. I've
> never worn jewellery (nor ties) since.

Ouch.

Jim

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Dec 2015 12:02:07
Message: <56670d0f$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 22:24:00 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> Yeah, I've got a few that I got for interviews when I was interviewing,
>> but otherwise, I avoid them like the plague.
>
> I've got a few, two of them were owned by Tommy Cooper. My wife bought
> them for me at a church fair. His wife donated them. I also bought a
> couple of silk ties in Hong Kong one of them with the Happy Mac icon
> with arms and legs.

Those sound particularly silly.  I always personally have liked the ties
Neil DeGrasse Tyson wears.

> I always use a full Windsor knot if I have to wear one.

I have heard the name, but I honestly don't know which knot I use. :)

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 10 Dec 2015 13:35:57
Message: <5669c60d@news.povray.org>
On 12/8/2015 5:02 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Yeah, I've got a few that I got for interviews when I was interviewing,
>>> but otherwise, I avoid them like the plague.
>>
>> I've got a few, two of them were owned by Tommy Cooper. My wife bought
>> them for me at a church fair. His wife donated them. I also bought a
>> couple of silk ties in Hong Kong one of them with the Happy Mac icon
>> with arms and legs.
>
> Those sound particularly silly.  I always personally have liked the ties
> Neil DeGrasse Tyson wears.

I could go with those. :-)

>> I always use a full Windsor knot if I have to wear one.
>
> I have heard the name, but I honestly don't know which knot I use. :)

The Windsor knot is the one that is symmetrical and looks as if you can
tie a tie properly.

This is a good example
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JuOgaFnpTB0/maxresdefault.jpg

This is a sloppy one
http://images.askmen.com/1200x600/video/fashion/how-to-tie-a-tie-the-windsor-knot-1083096-TwoByOne.jpg

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Dec 2015 20:28:54
Message: <566a26d6$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 18:35:50 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 12/8/2015 5:02 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I've got a few, two of them were owned by Tommy Cooper. My wife bought
>>> them for me at a church fair. His wife donated them. I also bought a
>>> couple of silk ties in Hong Kong one of them with the Happy Mac icon
>>> with arms and legs.
>>
>> Those sound particularly silly.  I always personally have liked the
>> ties Neil DeGrasse Tyson wears.
>>

> I could go with those. :-)
>
>>> I always use a full Windsor knot if I have to wear one.
>>
>> I have heard the name, but I honestly don't know which knot I use. :)
>>
> The Windsor knot is the one that is symmetrical and looks as if you can
> tie a tie properly.
>
> This is a good example
> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JuOgaFnpTB0/maxresdefault.jpg
>
> This is a sloppy one
> http://images.askmen.com/1200x600/video/fashion/how-to-tie-a-tie-the-
windsor-knot-1083096-TwoByOne.jpg

That's probably not the knot I use. :)

Jim

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Zazzle size
Date: 11 Dec 2015 14:23:31
Message: <566b22b3$1@news.povray.org>
So I ordered some Christmas cards from Zazzle.

They now print them in two sizes - a normal one, and a slightly larger
one. So I ordered most of the cards in normal size, and a couple in
large size.

OK, wow. I had *no idea* the large ones would be so utterly huge! I now
kinda have a problem, in that if anybody sees me give out the super
ultra mega huge cards, they'll be wondering why they only got a regular
size one!

Seriously, this thing is bigger than A4. (That's *before* you open it.
So the opened card is larger than A3.) Wow... I guess you _can_ have too
much of a good thing?