POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Display technology Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:29:08 EDT (-0400)
  Display technology (Message 40 to 49 of 49)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Display technology
Date: 16 Oct 2015 03:45:47
Message: <5620ab2b$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/16/2015 8:34 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Today, I guess all phones run Andriod, and are thus identical in every
> respect... (The odd one out being the iPhone, of course.)

Never, ever take up gambling for a living. :-P
Each manufacturer has their own GUI and controls. And if you root the
device you can customise it even more.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 16 Oct 2015 04:26:04
Message: <5620b49c$1@news.povray.org>
> Whatever happened to OLED anyway? And flexible displays? The world seems
> to have stopped caring...

OLED was used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 for example. I think it's turned
out not to be the killer of LCD for a few reasons: it uses more power
than LCD, it struggled to keep up with the high ppi achievable with LCD,
and the visual quality gap between OLED and LCD closed up a lot faster
than people expected.

A lot of cool stuff is possible with displays, it's just nowadays
everyone seems more concerned with price rather than cool features. For
example BMW used to use a "transflective" LCD in their cars, where each
pixel is divided into a reflective and transmissive part. This means
even in direct sunlight the display looks just a good as in darkness.
However they stopped using those because they were too expensive (many
more steps in making the glass, plus a much stronger backlight), and in
their eyes so long as the screen looks good in the showroom (where there
is no sun) it doesn't matter how it looks out on the road. They saved
their 20 euro on their 30000 euro car and they were happy.

Post a reply to this message