POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for a while. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for a while. (Message 30 to 39 of 39)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile.
Date: 13 Sep 2015 03:05:05
Message: <55f52021$1@news.povray.org>
On 12-9-2015 14:57, Stephen wrote:
> On 9/12/2015 12:28 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> That one is one of my memories too.
>>> I did not read many magazines by the time the American ones got to
>>> Glasgow they would be in batches several months late. The British
>>> magazines would be difficult to find. It was mostly library books that
>>> kept me going.
>>>
>> I really got started on SF when I moved to Amsterdam in '66 where I
>> discovered Analog and began collecting SF books. Iirc Analog was the
>> only magazine available in stores; others (no UK) were either not there
>> or only irregularly.
>
> I was about ten when I found Kemlo the space cadet. I have been hooked
> ever since. Glasgow being a port, would get pallets of American Pulp
> Fiction that had been used as ballast. They were sold in "Second hand
> bookshops" where you could return them and get back half of what you
> paid. They were really subscription libraries for American genre
> fiction. Cowboy, WWII stories, Romantic and SF. These shops were always
> in poor parts of town, near either a railway station or the docks.

A treasure trove! No, I did not have that chance. For many years SF was
restricted to Jules Verne, but I was hooked early on somehow, not in the
least by the international space competition (Sputnik!). I still can
remember putting my ear to the /wireless/ to listen to its
bip-bip-bip..... :-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message