POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for a while. : Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 06:38:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile.
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Sep 2015 03:07:24
Message: <55f6722c$1@news.povray.org>
On 13-9-2015 12:31, Stephen wrote:
>> A treasure trove!
>
> No a house of ill repute. Where those poor, sad people came to get their
> fix of trash. That's how SF was thought of, at the time.

That is true. My father was a fan of detective and horror stories but
frowned upon SF while otoh he was genuinely interested in everything
concerning space ;-)

It must be said that some of the vintage could be openly fascist
sometimes. The Lensman and Skylark books for example. I think that those
aspects contributed to my father's opinion.

>> No, I did not have that chance. For many years SF was
>> restricted to Jules Verne, but I was hooked early on somehow, not in the
>> least by the international space competition (Sputnik!). I still can
>> remember putting my ear to the /wireless/ to listen to its
>> bip-bip-bip..... :-)
>

> That is on the far edge of my memory. :-)
> The space race was exciting viewed from afar.

We have a small age difference, young man ;-)

--
Thomas