POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions for a while. : Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 06:33:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Since the Invisible Orchid has not asked any questions forawhile.
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2015 03:45:48
Message: <55f67b2c$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/14/2015 8:07 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 13-9-2015 12:31, Stephen wrote:
>> On 9/13/2015 8:05 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> A treasure trove!
>>
>> No a house of ill repute. Where those poor, sad people came to get their
>> fix of trash. That's how SF was thought of, at the time.
>
> That is true. My father was a fan of detective and horror stories but
> frowned upon SF while otoh he was genuinely interested in everything
> concerning space ;-)

The covers did not help them to be taken seriously. Generally a busty
blond woman in a see through spacesuit being attacked by a BEM.

> It must be said that some of the vintage could be openly fascist
> sometimes. The Lensman and Skylark books for example. I think that those
> aspects contributed to my father's opinion.

True, very true. I have been trying to re-read some of my collection.
Robert Heinlein is an author I cannot read any more. Sad. :-(

>> That is on the far edge of my memory. :-)
>> The space race was exciting viewed from afar.
>>

> We have a small age difference, young man ;-)

Yes but I was only seven then. It makes a bigger difference at that age.

--

Regards
     Stephen