POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Enter the compiler Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:07:23 EDT (-0400)
  Enter the compiler (Message 17 to 26 of 26)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Enter the compiler
Date: 7 Mar 2015 09:59:01
Message: <54fb1235$1@news.povray.org>
On 7-3-2015 15:30, Stephen wrote:
> On 07/03/2015 12:52, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> LOL. Better be careful indeed and lock the door. As far as evolution is
>> concerned, we still are in the process of change I am told: number and
>> size of teeth; shape of the lower jaw; just to mention a few things that
>> are changing very rapidly, in terms of centuries if not decades.
>
> Add medicines to that and you'll get a strange mix.
>
> It ain't natural. I tell you. :-)

How true Dr Frankenstein. All those tales about vampires... :-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Mar 2015 10:35:23
Message: <54fb1abb$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/03/2015 14:58, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 7-3-2015 15:30, Stephen wrote:
>> On 07/03/2015 12:52, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> LOL. Better be careful indeed and lock the door. As far as evolution is
>>> concerned, we still are in the process of change I am told: number and
>>> size of teeth; shape of the lower jaw; just to mention a few things that
>>> are changing very rapidly, in terms of centuries if not decades.
>>
>> Add medicines to that and you'll get a strange mix.
>>
>> It ain't natural. I tell you. :-)
>>
> How true Dr Frankenstein. All those tales about vampires... :-)

Not me. I was nowhere near the place, then. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Mar 2015 04:28:35
Message: <54fc0833$1@news.povray.org>
On 7-3-2015 16:35, Stephen wrote:
> On 07/03/2015 14:58, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>
>>> Add medicines to that and you'll get a strange mix.
>>>
>>> It ain't natural. I tell you. :-)
>>>
>> How true Dr Frankenstein. All those tales about vampires... :-)
>>

> Not me. I was nowhere near the place, then. ;-)

What? Where were you on the 6th of July 1816? At midnight? ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 8 Mar 2015 05:43:20
Message: <54fc19b8$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/03/2015 08:28, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> How true Dr Frankenstein. All those tales about vampires... :-)
>>>

>> Not me. I was nowhere near the place, then. ;-)
>>
> What? Where were you on the 6th of July 1816? At midnight? ;-)

I have an alibi.
I was nursing Dr John back to health after the Battle of Seven Oaks. He
stepped in front of a musket ball aimed at me. Governor Semple was a fool.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Mar 2015 08:07:07
Message: <54fc3b6b$1@news.povray.org>
On 8-3-2015 10:43, Stephen wrote:

>>> Not me. I was nowhere near the place, then. ;-)
>>>
>> What? Where were you on the 6th of July 1816? At midnight? ;-)
>>

> I have an alibi.
> I was nursing Dr John back to health after the Battle of Seven Oaks. He
> stepped in front of a musket ball aimed at me. Governor Semple was a fool.

Of course, of course. I should have known... It explains quite a lot though.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 8 Mar 2015 08:45:16
Message: <54fc445c$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/03/2015 12:07, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> What? Where were you on the 6th of July 1816? At midnight? ;-)
>>>

>> I have an alibi.
>> I was nursing Dr John back to health after the Battle of Seven Oaks. He
>> stepped in front of a musket ball aimed at me. Governor Semple was a
>> fool.
>>
> Of course, of course. I should have known... It explains quite a lot
> though.

It does. Blew half his head off. All over my best uniform as well. Took
him a deuce of a time to recover. I used some native lichen to pack the
wound. The same stuff that fellow, John Wyndham, found. He made a full
recovery, better than ever. Especially in the head department. The
lichen was assimilated and gave him supper powers. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Mar 2015 11:11:24
Message: <54fc669c$1@news.povray.org>
On 8-3-2015 13:45, Stephen wrote:
> On 08/03/2015 12:07, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> I have an alibi.
>>> I was nursing Dr John back to health after the Battle of Seven Oaks. He
>>> stepped in front of a musket ball aimed at me. Governor Semple was a
>>> fool.
>>>
>> Of course, of course. I should have known... It explains quite a lot
>> though.
>>

> It does. Blew half his head off. All over my best uniform as well. Took
> him a deuce of a time to recover. I used some native lichen to pack the
> wound. The same stuff that fellow, John Wyndham, found. He made a full
> recovery, better than ever. Especially in the head department. The
> lichen was assimilated and gave him supper powers. ;-)

I should be careful with those 'supper'(sic) powers. Obesitas, you know. ;-)

Glad he recovered though. I remember Wyndham made quite mess of the
stuff but apparently it was good for something after all. Doesn't John
clap his hands too often? for no apparent reason?
--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 17 Mar 2015 15:09:45
Message: <55087bf9$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/2015 06:37 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 03/03/2015 10:45 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> It's a tad verbose (!!), but it works. The protocol is that every
>> top-level Haskell constant becomes a
>>
>> public static Thunk<...> OB_XXX = ...
>>
>> Any top-level constant that's a *function* also gets a
>>
>> public static T0 FN_XXX(Thunk<T1> arg1, Thunk<T2> arg2, Thunk<T3> args)
>> {
>> ...compiled code...
>> }
>
> ...yeah, that doesn't actually work.
>
> Haskell allows you to declare a "constant" who's type is polymorphic. C#
> does not.

In other fun news, C# allows you to use Func<Foo, Bar> to denote a
first-class function from type Foo to type Bar. It does *not* allow you
to represent a generic function in this manner, however. For example,

   public List<TX> map<TX, TY>(Func<TX, TY>, List<TY>) {...}

is a valid generic method. But the *only* way to encode this as a Func<>
is to do

   Func<Func<object, object>, List<object>, List<object>>

and then some nifty run-time type-checking. You know, the exact thing
that generics exists to prevent? :-P

Ah well, I suppose it's silly to expect the entire Haskell type system
to fit *exactly* into a radically different programming language. (I
suspect C++ could probably handle it though...)

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 18 Mar 2015 04:27:46
Message: <55093702$1@news.povray.org>
> Ah well, I suppose it's silly to expect the entire Haskell type system
> to fit *exactly* into a radically different programming language. (I
> suspect C++ could probably handle it though...)

Have you looked at F#? That limitation might be with C# rather than the CIL.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Mar 2015 04:17:09
Message: <550a8605$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/03/2015 08:27 AM, scott wrote:
>> Ah well, I suppose it's silly to expect the entire Haskell type system
>> to fit *exactly* into a radically different programming language. (I
>> suspect C++ could probably handle it though...)
>
> Have you looked at F#? That limitation might be with C# rather than the
> CIL.

Yeah, I remember briefly looking at F#, and being unimpressed. Since
it's designed to directly interact with a huge, very imperative OO
library, it ends up being very imperative and OO.

I did think about generating CIL directly. It looks pretty complicated
though. And so far, I've only found a few little corners where C# won't
do what I want. Overall, it looks to be refreshingly easy for C# code to
talk to Haskell and vice versa. Although... come back when I've actually
*finished* the thing! ;-)

I can live with the lack of generics. It mostly affects internal
machine-generated code, so...