POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Enter the compiler : Re: Enter the compiler Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Enter the compiler
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Mar 2015 04:17:09
Message: <550a8605$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/03/2015 08:27 AM, scott wrote:
>> Ah well, I suppose it's silly to expect the entire Haskell type system
>> to fit *exactly* into a radically different programming language. (I
>> suspect C++ could probably handle it though...)
>
> Have you looked at F#? That limitation might be with C# rather than the
> CIL.

Yeah, I remember briefly looking at F#, and being unimpressed. Since
it's designed to directly interact with a huge, very imperative OO
library, it ends up being very imperative and OO.

I did think about generating CIL directly. It looks pretty complicated
though. And so far, I've only found a few little corners where C# won't
do what I want. Overall, it looks to be refreshingly easy for C# code to
talk to Haskell and vice versa. Although... come back when I've actually
*finished* the thing! ;-)

I can live with the lack of generics. It mostly affects internal
machine-generated code, so...