POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Clipka’s software lathe. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:47:10 EDT (-0400)
  Clipka’s software lathe. (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Stephen
Subject: Clipka’s software lathe.
Date: 2 Mar 2015 14:06:45
Message: <54f4b4c5$1@news.povray.org>
I can’t find the original post but this might be of interest.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31049807

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Subject: Re: Clipka’s software lathe.
Date: 2 Mar 2015 17:03:36
Message: <54f4de38$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/02/2015 02:06 PM, Stephen wrote:
> I can’t find the original post but this might be of interest.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31049807

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/8127445/htc-vive-valve-vr-headset

the assimilation has already begun

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 2 Mar 2015 19:59:23
Message: <54f5076b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.03.2015 um 23:03 schrieb James Holsenback:
> On 03/02/2015 02:06 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> I can’t find the original post but this might be of interest.
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31049807
>
> http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/8127445/htc-vive-valve-vr-headset
>
> the assimilation has already begun

It's pretty clear by now that VR isn't just a hype this time, but
actually going to take off and fly.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Mar 2015 03:53:35
Message: <54f6c80f$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/03/2015 00:59, clipka wrote:
> Am 02.03.2015 um 23:03 schrieb James Holsenback:
>> On 03/02/2015 02:06 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>> I can’t find the original post but this might be of interest.
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31049807
>>
>> http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/8127445/htc-vive-valve-vr-headset
>>
>> the assimilation has already begun
>
> It's pretty clear by now that VR isn't just a hype this time, but
> actually going to take off and fly.

More evidence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31723030

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 Mar 2015 04:19:04
Message: <54f6ce08$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/03/2015 09:53, Stephen a écrit :
> On 03/03/2015 00:59, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/8127445/htc-vive-valve-vr-headset
>>>
>>> the assimilation has already begun
>>
>> It's pretty clear by now that VR isn't just a hype this time, but
>> actually going to take off and fly.
>>

> More evidence
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31723030

Size of the battery ? (and duration ? it might be painful to stop to
recharge, like it happens with the various remote controllers)
Weight of it ?

Can they make the same with some cables for power and video ?

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 4 Mar 2015 04:54:07
Message: <54f6d63f$1@news.povray.org>
> Size of the battery ? (and duration ? it might be painful to stop to
> recharge, like it happens with the various remote controllers)
> Weight of it ?
>
> Can they make the same with some cables for power and video ?

I can't believe they would sell it without the option to have it cabled.
Having 120hz refresh is a good improvement over the Rift prototypes, but
it should really have a variable refresh rate to match with the graphics
output (like the nvidia gsync system) to minimise lag when the GPU can't
keep up with exactly 120fps. Also it seems like 1080p shared between
both eyes is not really high enough resolution when spread over such a
wide field of vision.

This technology has taken a huge step forward, hopefully enough people
will buy them to give them enough funding to develop the 2nd gen models.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Mar 2015 05:07:13
Message: <54f6d951@news.povray.org>
On 04/03/2015 09:54, scott wrote:
> This technology has taken a huge step forward, hopefully enough people
> will buy them to give them enough funding to develop the 2nd gen models.

With different companies developing their own systems. My concern is
that we will have a rerun of the Betamax-VHS war.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 4 Mar 2015 06:05:29
Message: <54f6e6f9$1@news.povray.org>
> With different companies developing their own systems. My concern is
> that we will have a rerun of the Betamax-VHS war.

Yes, and it'll be just your luck that your two favourite games won't
support a common system. Still I wouldn't be surprised if DirectX starts
to provide a common interface to these type of input devices if they get
popular.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 4 Mar 2015 16:11:57
Message: <54f7751d$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/03/2015 12:59 AM, clipka wrote:
> It's pretty clear by now that VR isn't just a hype this time, but
> actually going to take off and fly.

Didn't they say that about 3D TV about five years ago?

When was the last time you saw a 3D TV that wasn't in a shop window?

Exactly.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 4 Mar 2015 17:38:13
Message: <54f78955@news.povray.org>
Am 04.03.2015 um 10:54 schrieb scott:

> Having 120hz refresh is a good improvement over the Rift prototypes, but
> it should really have a variable refresh rate to match with the graphics
> output (like the nvidia gsync system) to minimise lag when the GPU can't
> keep up with exactly 120fps.

Bad, bad idea. That'll make your image appear to jitter when framerate
drops. Headaches guaranteed.

Better have the GPU render to an interim image buffer (possibly at low
framerate), and have a separate thingumajig do high-speed fixed-rate
mapping of that interim image buffer to the VR display, taking into
account the extrapolated direction you'll be facing the very moment the
image will actually appear.