POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Phishing fail! Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:40:40 EDT (-0400)
  Phishing fail! (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Phishing fail!
Date: 9 Feb 2015 10:21:59
Message: <54d8d097$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-2-2015 16:15, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I find the most hilarious the fact that a phishing mail warns for
> phishing of its own phishing. If on purpose, then those guys have a
> (particular) sense of humour, if not, they are plain stupid. :-)

...with a special note to Clipka's explanation as a third option ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 9 Feb 2015 12:09:25
Message: <54d8e9c5$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/02/15 15:21, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 9-2-2015 16:15, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> I find the most hilarious the fact that a phishing mail warns for
>> phishing of its own phishing. If on purpose, then those guys have a
>> (particular) sense of humour, if not, they are plain stupid. :-)
>>
> ....with a special note to Clipka's explanation as a third option ;-)

I seem to remember reading, possibly here, that misspelt or
syntactically incorrect phishing emails do indeed have a higher success
rate than those with flawless $INSERT_LANGUAGE_OF_CHOICE. There was a
link to an academic paper but right now I can't find it.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Feb 2015 16:38:59
Message: <54d928f3$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 17:09:25 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

> On 09/02/15 15:21, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 9-2-2015 16:15, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> I find the most hilarious the fact that a phishing mail warns for
>>> phishing of its own phishing. If on purpose, then those guys have a
>>> (particular) sense of humour, if not, they are plain stupid. :-)
>>>
>> ....with a special note to Clipka's explanation as a third option ;-)
>>

> I seem to remember reading, possibly here, that misspelt or
> syntactically incorrect phishing emails do indeed have a higher success
> rate than those with flawless $INSERT_LANGUAGE_OF_CHOICE. There was a
> link to an academic paper but right now I can't find it.

Yeah, the supposed purpose of the poor grammar/spelling is to weed out
people who aren't going to fall for it anyways.

Jim

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Feb 2015 03:26:52
Message: <54d9c0cc$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-2-2015 22:38, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 17:09:25 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

>>> ....with a special note to Clipka's explanation as a third option ;-)
>>>

>> I seem to remember reading, possibly here, that misspelt or
>> syntactically incorrect phishing emails do indeed have a higher success
>> rate than those with flawless $INSERT_LANGUAGE_OF_CHOICE. There was a
>> link to an academic paper but right now I can't find it.
>
> Yeah, the supposed purpose of the poor grammar/spelling is to weed out
> people who aren't going to fall for it anyways.
>
> Jim

I am impressed. There is /real/ psychology put into phishing... :-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 10 Feb 2015 04:52:49
Message: <54d9d4f1@news.povray.org>
On 10/02/2015 08:26, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 9-2-2015 22:38, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I seem to remember reading, possibly here, that misspelt or
>>> syntactically incorrect phishing emails do indeed have a higher success
>>> rate than those with flawless $INSERT_LANGUAGE_OF_CHOICE. There was a
>>> link to an academic paper but right now I can't find it.
>>
>> Yeah, the supposed purpose of the poor grammar/spelling is to weed out
>> people who aren't going to fall for it anyways.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> I am impressed. There is /real/ psychology put into phishing... :-)

Easier than working for a living.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 10 Feb 2015 05:48:03
Message: <54d9e1e3$1@news.povray.org>
> I seem to remember reading, possibly here, that misspelt or
> syntactically incorrect phishing emails do indeed have a higher success
> rate than those with flawless $INSERT_LANGUAGE_OF_CHOICE. There was a
> link to an academic paper but right now I can't find it.

Only if you measure "success rate" as the number of scammed people per
1000 clicks on the scam link in the email.

If you measure it as the number of scammed people per 1000 emails sent
out then you'll get a better success rate with a correctly worded email.

I guess it depends if the scammer is paying for website bandwidth or not.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Feb 2015 07:06:03
Message: <54d9f42b$1@news.povray.org>
On 10-2-2015 10:52, Stephen wrote:
> On 10/02/2015 08:26, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> Yeah, the supposed purpose of the poor grammar/spelling is to weed out
>>> people who aren't going to fall for it anyways.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>> I am impressed. There is /real/ psychology put into phishing... :-)
>>

> Easier than working for a living.

There is much wisdom in that...

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Feb 2015 21:10:25
Message: <54daba11$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 09:26:48 +0100, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> On 9-2-2015 22:38, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I seem to remember reading, possibly here, that misspelt or
>>> syntactically incorrect phishing emails do indeed have a higher
>>> success rate than those with flawless $INSERT_LANGUAGE_OF_CHOICE.
>>> There was a link to an academic paper but right now I can't find it.
>>
>> Yeah, the supposed purpose of the poor grammar/spelling is to weed out
>> people who aren't going to fall for it anyways.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> I am impressed. There is /real/ psychology put into phishing... :-)

I was quite surprised to read that myself, but it makes a certain amount
of sense.

Jim

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Feb 2015 21:12:01
Message: <54daba71$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:47:49 +0000, scott wrote:

> Only if you measure "success rate" as the number of scammed people per
> 1000 clicks on the scam link in the email.

That is the metric that's used - it's the same sort of metric that's used
by spammers as well.  They don't target well, they just blanket and hope
they can get a click.  The high conversion rate for scammers is based
entirely on an initial response -> scam successful ratio, because they
don't want to waste their time with people like us who are just going to
waste their time.

Jim

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 11 Feb 2015 09:31:18
Message: <54db67b6$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2015-02-10 21:12, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:47:49 +0000, scott wrote:
>
>> Only if you measure "success rate" as the number of scammed people per
>> 1000 clicks on the scam link in the email.
>
> That is the metric that's used - it's the same sort of metric that's used
> by spammers as well.  They don't target well, they just blanket and hope
> they can get a click.  The high conversion rate for scammers is based
> entirely on an initial response -> scam successful ratio, because they
> don't want to waste their time with people like us who are just going to
> waste their time.
>
> Jim

Yep.  Just like when "Jenny from Windows support" calls saying our
computer has a virus, and my wife says "hang on, I'll let you speak to
my husband, he's the one who takes care of the computers around the
house", they usually hang up, because they don't want to waste their
time with someone who's going to mess with them for 35 minutes.

/Not that I would ever do such a thing... Honest.  :D