POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh Well (Part 2) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Oh Well (Part 2) (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Oh Well (Part 2)
Date: 3 Nov 2014 03:14:35
Message: <5457396b$1@news.povray.org>
> well i hope your team(s) are doing better than mine ...

Yes, we both had wins at the weekend so we're still 1st and 2nd :-)

More importantly though Lewis took another win to get a bit closer to
the Formula 1 world championship.

> halfway through the season the 49ers are at 0.500

What does the 0.500 mean?

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 3 Nov 2014 05:33:13
Message: <545759e9$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/11/14 08:14, scott wrote:
>> well i hope your team(s) are doing better than mine ...
>
> Yes, we both had wins at the weekend so we're still 1st and 2nd :-)

At this rate, it's going to come down to the matches on 28/12 and 14/03.
But, don't worry, Scott, 2nd is not a bad position to finish in ;-)

> More importantly though Lewis took another win to get a bit closer to
> the Formula 1 world championship.

He's beginning to look as good as Jackie Stewart in his heyday.

>> halfway through the season the 49ers are at 0.500
>
> What does the 0.500 mean?

Good question. What does it mean?

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

>>> well i hope your team(s) are doing better than mine ...
>>
>> Yes, we both had wins at the weekend so we're still 1st and 2nd :-)
>>

> At this rate, it's going to come down to the matches on 28/12 and 14/03.
> But, don't worry, Scott, 2nd is not a bad position to finish in ;-)
>
>> More importantly though Lewis took another win to get a bit closer to
>> the Formula 1 world championship.
>>

> He's beginning to look as good as Jackie Stewart in his heyday.
>
>>> halfway through the season the 49ers are at 0.500
>>
>> What does the 0.500 mean?
>
> Good question. What does it mean?
>
> John

Just looked it up. IIUC James was quoting the Winning Percentage. Thus,
Chelsea is at 0.9 (10 played, 8 won and 2 drawn) and Southampton is at
0.8 (10 played, 7 won, 2 drawn and 1 lost)

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents
You hold it in trust for your children

Post a reply to this message

> Just looked it up. IIUC James was quoting the Winning Percentage. Thus,
> Chelsea is at 0.9 (10 played, 8 won and 2 drawn) and Southampton is at
> 0.8 (10 played, 7 won, 2 drawn and 1 lost)

An interesting system that places a little more emphasis on drawing than
our 3 for a win, 1 for a draw system. Also it would help to avoid the
strange table order when some teams have played 1 or 2 fewer games than
others.

Post a reply to this message

>> Just looked it up. IIUC James was quoting the Winning Percentage. Thus,
>> Chelsea is at 0.9 (10 played, 8 won and 2 drawn) and Southampton is at
>> 0.8 (10 played, 7 won, 2 drawn and 1 lost)
>
> An interesting system that places a little more emphasis on drawing than
> our 3 for a win, 1 for a draw system. Also it would help to avoid the
> strange table order when some teams have played 1 or 2 fewer games than
> others.

NFL season is 16 weeks ... so halfway through they (9ers) have won 4 and
lost 4. the division leader has won 7 lost 1. divisional match-ups come
into play for the playoffs. top winner in each division gets into the
post-season. in case of a tie in record (with-in a division) how they
did against their divisional opponents also factors in to the mix

Post a reply to this message

> NFL season is 16 weeks ... so halfway through they (9ers) have won 4 and
> lost 4. the division leader has won 7 lost 1. divisional match-ups come
> into play for the playoffs. top winner in each division gets into the
> post-season. in case of a tie in record (with-in a division) how they
> did against their divisional opponents also factors in to the mix

Just read the NFL article on wikipedia - a bit more complex than our
football league system (20 teams, play everyone twice, most points
wins). I only really have one question that I couldn't see the answer
to, what is the system for bringing up teams into the NFL that aren't
there already? Is there a kind of "2nd tier" NFL where the winners get a
chance to playoff with the people at the bottom of the NFL divisons for
a place next season?

Post a reply to this message

>> NFL season is 16 weeks ... so halfway through they (9ers) have won 4 and
>> lost 4. the division leader has won 7 lost 1. divisional match-ups come
>> into play for the playoffs. top winner in each division gets into the
>> post-season. in case of a tie in record (with-in a division) how they
>> did against their divisional opponents also factors in to the mix
>
> Just read the NFL article on wikipedia - a bit more complex than our
> football league system (20 teams, play everyone twice, most points
> wins). I only really have one question that I couldn't see the answer
> to, what is the system for bringing up teams into the NFL that aren't
> there already? Is there a kind of "2nd tier" NFL where the winners get a
> chance to playoff with the people at the bottom of the NFL divisons for
> a place next season?

If I'm understanding you correctly ... no

division winners get a playoff spot and a first round bye. each
divisions runner up also gets in as a "wildcard" but they end up having
to play more games to get to the end. It is possible (and it's happened)
that a wildcard team makes to the end and captures the title. The
championship (Super Bowl) is between the winners of the two conferences
... National and American conferences. The order teams get to pick new
players in the following years draft is determined by the last seasons
win loss record ... worst teams get to pick first, however with off
season deals, sometimes those teams give up a pick for other more
veteran players.

Post a reply to this message

On 11/04/2014 01:09 PM, James Holsenback wrote:
> On 11/04/2014 03:20 AM, scott wrote:
>>> NFL season is 16 weeks ... so halfway through they (9ers) have won 4 and
>>> lost 4. the division leader has won 7 lost 1. divisional match-ups come
>>> into play for the playoffs. top winner in each division gets into the
>>> post-season. in case of a tie in record (with-in a division) how they
>>> did against their divisional opponents also factors in to the mix
>>
>> Just read the NFL article on wikipedia - a bit more complex than our
>> football league system (20 teams, play everyone twice, most points
>> wins). I only really have one question that I couldn't see the answer
>> to, what is the system for bringing up teams into the NFL that aren't
>> there already? Is there a kind of "2nd tier" NFL where the winners get a
>> chance to playoff with the people at the bottom of the NFL divisons for
>> a place next season?
>>

> If I'm understanding you correctly ... no
>
> division winners get a playoff spot and a first round bye. each
> divisions runner up also gets in as a "wildcard" but they end up having
> to play more games to get to the end. It is possible (and it's happened)
> that a wildcard team makes to the end and captures the title. The
> championship (Super Bowl) is between the winners of the two conferences
> ... National and American conferences. The order teams get to pick new
> players in the following years draft is determined by the last seasons
> win loss record ... worst teams get to pick first, however with off
> season deals, sometimes those teams give up a pick for other more
> veteran players.

oh i just thought of one more thing worth mentioning ...

teams within a division play each other twice during regular season. if
two teams in the same division end up with the same win/loss record, how
they did against division opponents is an important factor in
determining playoff seeding

Post a reply to this message

>> If I'm understanding you correctly ... no
>>
>> division winners get a playoff spot and a first round bye. each
>> divisions runner up also gets in as a "wildcard" but they end up having
>> to play more games to get to the end. It is possible (and it's happened)
>> that a wildcard team makes to the end and captures the title. The
>> championship (Super Bowl) is between the winners of the two conferences
>> ... National and American conferences. The order teams get to pick new
>> players in the following years draft is determined by the last seasons
>> win loss record ... worst teams get to pick first, however with off
>> season deals, sometimes those teams give up a pick for other more
>> veteran players.
>
> oh i just thought of one more thing worth mentioning ...
>
> teams within a division play each other twice during regular season. if
> two teams in the same division end up with the same win/loss record, how
> they did against division opponents is an important factor in
> determining playoff seeding

I meant more how do you get a place in one of the divisions? If you
finish last in your division do you have to fight for your place next
season against other would-be teams not yet in the division? Or are the
teams in each division the same every year forever?

Post a reply to this message

>> NFL season is 16 weeks ... so halfway through they (9ers) have won 4 and
>> lost 4. the division leader has won 7 lost 1. divisional match-ups come
>> into play for the playoffs. top winner in each division gets into the
>> post-season. in case of a tie in record (with-in a division) how they
>> did against their divisional opponents also factors in to the mix
>
> Just read the NFL article on wikipedia - a bit more complex than our
> football league system (20 teams, play everyone twice, most points
> wins). I only really have one question that I couldn't see the answer
> to, what is the system for bringing up teams into the NFL that aren't
> there already? Is there a kind of "2nd tier" NFL where the winners get a
> chance to playoff with the people at the bottom of the NFL divisons for
> a place next season?

The divisions in the NFL are only mostly geographic in nature and don't
have anything to do with performance, like they do in Europe.  You play
against the teams in your division more often than you play against the
teams in the other division.  This is supposedly done to reduce travel
costs for the teams and increase audiences since it's easier to creates
rivalries against a team you meet every year rather than a team you may
only face every three years (outside of payoffs).

The only way to "bring up" a team in the NFL is to bribe the government
into building you a big nice stadium, and then bribe the NFL leadership
into accepting a new team, or maybe buying one of the existing one.