POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh Well (Part 2) : Re: Oh Well (Part 2) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh Well (Part 2)
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 5 Nov 2014 08:32:26
Message: <545a26ea$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2014-11-04 03:20, scott a écrit :
>> NFL season is 16 weeks ... so halfway through they (9ers) have won 4 and
>> lost 4. the division leader has won 7 lost 1. divisional match-ups come
>> into play for the playoffs. top winner in each division gets into the
>> post-season. in case of a tie in record (with-in a division) how they
>> did against their divisional opponents also factors in to the mix
>
> Just read the NFL article on wikipedia - a bit more complex than our
> football league system (20 teams, play everyone twice, most points
> wins). I only really have one question that I couldn't see the answer
> to, what is the system for bringing up teams into the NFL that aren't
> there already? Is there a kind of "2nd tier" NFL where the winners get a
> chance to playoff with the people at the bottom of the NFL divisons for
> a place next season?

The divisions in the NFL are only mostly geographic in nature and don't
have anything to do with performance, like they do in Europe.  You play
against the teams in your division more often than you play against the
teams in the other division.  This is supposedly done to reduce travel
costs for the teams and increase audiences since it's easier to creates
rivalries against a team you meet every year rather than a team you may
only face every three years (outside of payoffs).

The only way to "bring up" a team in the NFL is to bribe the government
into building you a big nice stadium, and then bribe the NFL leadership
into accepting a new team, or maybe buying one of the existing one.