POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't update Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Don't update (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: scott
Subject: Don't update
Date: 9 Oct 2014 11:40:28
Message: <5436ac6c$1@news.povray.org>
There's a lesson to be learnt here:

My nVidia software helpfully told me that a new driver update was
available that improved frame rates and fixed various bugs etc (the
usual). Why not, I thought. After the update I find that nVidia surround
doesn't work (the thing that lets you use 3 monitors as one large one).
Maybe I have to restart? Nope still doesn't work. Doesn't work as in the
icon is there and you can click it but nothing at all happens. Had to
use device manager to roll-back the driver - works fine again now.

I plugged in my Garmin satnav to my PC to download a log of a recent
trip I did in the car. The Garmin software then tells me that apart from
the paid-for map updates there are some free map updates available.
Great, I install them (2GB download). Now the satnav won't start up
(invalid map key or some such error). Google reveals lots of people have
this issue, although none of the "official" solutions worked, there's
probably a reason why the web page of the person who hacked the map
files to remove the encryption key is ranked #2 in the search result.

The driver for my 3D mouse told me a new driver was available, a totally
new version packed with new features. Great! Unfortunately now one of
the axes is reversed for small movements (but corrects itself for large
movements). Bummer, it's almost unusable now. I'll just uninstall it and
reinstall an earlier version (luckily still available for download).
Cannot uninstall "There was a problem starting C:\Program The specified
module could not be found.". OK so who forgot to put quotes around the
filename at some point. No solution to this one yet.

Android software update available! For my 3 year old phone. Let's do it.
Ermmm now the battery lasts 12-16 hours? WTF. Surely they can't be this
obvious to try and get me to buy a new phone? After much time spent
googling and installing various diagnostic apps (surely my time costing
more than the price of a new phone) I trace the problem down to the
location services feature. Turn it off and now it's back to lasting
36-48 hours.

Post a reply to this message

> Android software update available! For my 3 year old phone. Let's do it.
> Ermmm now the battery lasts 12-16 hours?

my experience exactly

hate updates.  IMHO, they're just sales tactics to get you to buy newer,
"faster" hardware now that they updated your old hardware into complete junk by
making it run far more "optimizations" than it can deal with...

Post a reply to this message