POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't update : Re: Don't update Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Don't update
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 9 Oct 2014 16:25:31
Message: <5436ef3b$1@news.povray.org>
> my experience exactly
>
> hate updates.  IMHO, they're just sales tactics to get you to buy newer,
> "faster" hardware now that they updated your old hardware into complete junk by
> making it run far more "optimizations" than it can deal with...

I am currently employed full-time to write these "updates".

You know we actually spend all day, every day, trying to actually
improve our product?

Sadly, sometimes you try to improve the product and end up actually
making it worse. For example, we deleted a load of crufty old code and
replaced it with a single, streamlined class which is far smaller,
simpler, easier to test, etc. Unfortunately, it also exposed a Linux
kernel bug whereby our product can't read HFS+ filesystems anymore. :-S

I assure you, we didn't break HFS+ support on purpose! Indeed, a few
kernel updates later, and it's working again. It's weird like that
sometimes...

OTOH, I've seen updates where you seriously have to wonder if the
manufacturer is actually trying to make you stop using the product.
(E.g., why does Windows 8 exist?)