POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Really? (Message 51 to 60 of 121)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Really?
Date: 6 Sep 2014 08:43:17
Message: <540b0165$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/09/2014 17:28, Doctor John wrote:
> On 03/09/14 16:35, Stephen wrote:
>> On 03/09/2014 15:48, Doctor John wrote:
>>> The London codes are in the form 020 x yyy zzzz.
>>
>> Can you remember when it went from 01?
>>

> 1990: London split into 071 and 081 numbers. This should have doubled
> the number of lines available but the idiots forgot to allow the re-use
> of the first 3 following digits (the exchange code). Thus if 071 932
> xxxx existed, you couldn't have 081 932 xxxx.
> 1995: 071 and 081 changed to 0171 and 0181 for no apparent reason.
> (Actually I think they realised their previous mistake).
> 2000: 020 area code introduced and all local codes lengthened by
> prefixing with 7 (for 0171) and 8 (for 0181). The 3 prefix was
> introduced about 5 years later.

Thanks John.
I pine for the days when I could dial GOV 1234. The phone would ring,
the television would be turned down and the whole house would listen in.

Now some people don't even leave the room to have a private
conversation. So things haven't changed much. Except the string is longer.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I pine for the days when I could dial GOV 1234. The phone would ring,
> the television would be turned down and the whole house would listen in.

You 'ad a television? You were lucky!

When I were a lad etc etc :-D

John

BTW I can still remember our telephone number from the good old days:
RIN 4773
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents