POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: scott
Date: 8 Sep 2014 09:58:32
Message: <540db608$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/09/2014 16:37, Saul Luizaga wrote:
> Why UK having such a strong economy doesn't renew its phone system and
> simply makes it xxx yyyy yyyy, xxx: are codes, yyyy yyyy: phone numbers,

It is more or less like that now, most numbers are 01xxx yyyyyy and the
larger cities have 02x yyyy yyyy. Mobile numbers are 07xxxxxxxxx and
then there are a load of special-rate numbers starting 03, 08, 09 etc.

The system works well as the larger cities have shorter area codes and
longer local numbers. I think that system should just be rolled out more
across the country with numbers like 04xx yyy yyyy for medium sized
cities like Milton Keynes. This is how the system in Germany works.
There would be no need to change the majority of existing numbers then.

> resources so UK make a general call to UK engineers and design it on
> digital, and have an analog backup system, in case the digital 1 fails.

IIRC we've been on digital exchanges for at least 20 years now. I can
just about remember visiting our local exchange for the demo when they
switched over (a few seconds to connect vs the phone ringing the instant
you hit the last digit).

> If you need more numbers: xxx yyyy yyyy y that way you increase 10 times
> the availability,

You can't do that without everyone changing their phone number though,
something I suspect they are extremely keen to avoid.