POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 12 Sep 2014 02:47:02
Message: <541296e6@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> In my opinion there are two reasons.
> To be funded, national projects have to be a vote winner and spending a
> very large number of Pounds Sterling to change phone numbers (again) is
> not going to be attractive to politicians. Our infrastructure is no
> longer in public hands.* It was sold off to private concerns. So there
> is also the question of who is going to pay for it.
> The other reason is we do not have a good track record for large scale
> IT projects. The only people who make money are the consultancies and
> often they are cancelled.
>
> *    The exception to this is Kingston upon Hull in Yorkshire (say no
> more). They have the only municipal telephone system in the UK.
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCOM_Group

That's the problem, politicians deciding on the feasibility by political
reasons, when experts, in this case engineers, should evaluate and
decide the best path, they should be the authority and the evaluation
made public for people to vote on the Internet, if not, just go to your
Town-Hall/Municipality and write your decision on a book, simple and
fast then count, communicate to the Gov, made the count with witnesses
and public on a newspaper, the newspaper will do it for free as a
community service and regulated by a law, which would make all business
do something similar in turn at sometime.

  Public services IMO shouldn't be private matters, should be paid,
administrated and decide by the public, politicians aren't the oracle of
truth, just an administration instrument with a contributing perspective.