POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Those who wait Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:30 EDT (-0400)
  Those who wait (Message 11 to 20 of 66)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Those who wait
Date: 29 Jul 2014 05:31:12
Message: <53d769e0$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/07/2014 11:08, scott wrote:

>>> Depends how big your building is :-) But I find it hard to believe you
>>> would use *on average* 500W (or whatever your PC uses flat out) of
>>> lighting.
>>
>> I suppose it depends on the size of the building, but given that
>> 100W incandescent light bulbs are (still) popular, even a small building
>> is probably using those a lot.
>
> I suppose you could have 20x 100W bulbs burning for 6 hours every day,
> that would add up to an average of 500W.

How did you came up with that 500W figure ?
Most ventirad of cpu are about 100 to 150W, and when rendering the
graphic card is nearly idle, so even with a disk and some memory chips,
the global power would be about 200W when rendering, even with a 80%
efficient PSU. (you do not have to keep the screen on during the render).

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 29 Jul 2014 06:58:18
Message: <53d77e4a$1@news.povray.org>
> How did you came up with that 500W figure ?

Well I needed to upgrade from a 500W to 750W+ PSU on my latest machine,
which I thought was mainly due to the graphics card, so 500W without
using the graphics card sounded about right. But then that probably is
worst case assuming powering all parts simultaneously.

> Most ventirad of cpu are about 100 to 150W, and when rendering the
> graphic card is nearly idle, so even with a disk and some memory chips,
> the global power would be about 200W when rendering, even with a 80%
> efficient PSU. (you do not have to keep the screen on during the render).

The motherboard presumably uses a fair whack as well, as on mine at
least it's got two quite large heatsinks. The other interesting I just
found out is that my GPU uses about 3x the power as my CPU, yet the CPU
heatsink and fan is bigger? How does that work?

Anyway, I figured out my average lighting use was about 25W (a handful
of LED and energy saving bulbs on for 4-6 hours/day), so even just
leaving my computer idle is using more than that...

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 Jul 2014 07:12:14
Message: <53d7818e$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/07/2014 12:58, scott wrote:
> The other interesting I just found out is that my GPU uses about 3x the
> power as my CPU, yet the CPU heatsink and fan is bigger? How does that
> work?

CPU usually throttle down once in the 80°C range. GPU are able to go to
105+°C (and might throttle down too once there).
The air flow on the cpu heatsink is rather loose, whereas the air flow
on the gpu heatsing is a tunnel.
Once you put these two facts together, you have on one side a
dissipation of 120W, and and the other side one of 250W.
(From air at 30°C, delta Temperature is 40 vs 65, more than 50%
effective alone)

From: scott
Date: 29 Jul 2014 08:20:02
Message: <53d79172$1@news.povray.org>
> CPU usually throttle down once in the 80°C range. GPU are able to go to
> 105+°C (and might throttle down too once there).
> The air flow on the cpu heatsink is rather loose, whereas the air flow
> on the gpu heatsing is a tunnel.

That then begs the question, why aren't CPUs using the same thermal
technology as GPUs?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 29 Jul 2014 13:49:26
Message: <53d7dea6$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/07/2014 08:38 AM, scott wrote:

>> Less than the electricity to illuminate the building, I would think...
>
> Depends how big your building is :-) But I find it hard to believe you
> would use *on average* 500W (or whatever your PC uses flat out) of
> lighting.

My previous PC had a peak power usage of something like 200W when
running Crysis, and while not doing anything it sat at about 100W. You
don't have to turn on many lights 100W lights to easily exceed that...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 29 Jul 2014 19:11:13
Message: <53d82a11$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.07.2014 13:12, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> On 29/07/2014 12:58, scott wrote:
>> The other interesting I just found out is that my GPU uses about 3x the
>> power as my CPU, yet the CPU heatsink and fan is bigger? How does that
>> work?
>
> CPU usually throttle down once in the 80°C range. GPU are able to go to
> 105+°C (and might throttle down too once there).
> The air flow on the cpu heatsink is rather loose, whereas the air flow
> on the gpu heatsing is a tunnel.
> Once you put these two facts together, you have on one side a
> dissipation of 120W, and and the other side one of 250W.
> (From air at 30°C, delta Temperature is 40 vs 65, more than 50%
> effective alone)

Plus, the CPU fan also needs to provide airflow for various mainboard
components, such as memory and voltage dividers.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 30 Jul 2014 03:37:21
Message: <53d8a0b1$1@news.povray.org>
> You
> don't have to turn on many lights 100W lights to easily exceed that...

You still have 100W heaters that give off a bit of light? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 30 Jul 2014 03:47:21
Message: <53d8a309$1@news.povray.org>
>> You
>> don't have to turn on many lights 100W lights to easily exceed that...
>
> You still have 100W heaters that give off a bit of light? ;-)

Yeah, pretty much.

In my mum's house [where most of this render took place] there's only
two lights in the building that aren't incandescent.

Trouble is, those mini fluorescent things take about quarter of an hour
to turn on...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 30 Jul 2014 03:49:32
Message: <53d8a38c@news.povray.org>
Am 30.07.2014 09:47, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>>> You
>>> don't have to turn on many lights 100W lights to easily exceed that...
>>
>> You still have 100W heaters that give off a bit of light? ;-)
>
> Yeah, pretty much.
>
> In my mum's house [where most of this render took place] there's only
> two lights in the building that aren't incandescent.
>
> Trouble is, those mini fluorescent things take about quarter of an hour
> to turn on...

Sounds like they're /all/ pretty much outdated.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 30 Jul 2014 04:13:10
Message: <53d8a916$1@news.povray.org>
> Trouble is, those mini fluorescent things take about quarter of an hour
> to turn on...

They must be *very* old ones then. Even the 99p ones that Tesco were
selling a while back turn on instantly. Given the price of them, and
even the price of LED lights now, it's pretty much a no-brainer to just
throw all your incandescent bulbs in the bin immediately.