POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Those who wait : Re: Those who wait Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Those who wait
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 Jul 2014 07:12:14
Message: <53d7818e$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/07/2014 12:58, scott wrote:
> The other interesting I just found out is that my GPU uses about 3x the
> power as my CPU, yet the CPU heatsink and fan is bigger? How does that
> work?

CPU usually throttle down once in the 80°C range. GPU are able to go to
105+°C (and might throttle down too once there).
The air flow on the cpu heatsink is rather loose, whereas the air flow
on the gpu heatsing is a tunnel.
Once you put these two facts together, you have on one side a
dissipation of 120W, and and the other side one of 250W.
(From air at 30°C, delta Temperature is 40 vs 65, more than 50%
effective alone)

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)