POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Those who wait : Re: Those who wait Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Those who wait
From: scott
Date: 29 Jul 2014 06:58:18
Message: <53d77e4a$1@news.povray.org>
> How did you came up with that 500W figure ?

Well I needed to upgrade from a 500W to 750W+ PSU on my latest machine,
which I thought was mainly due to the graphics card, so 500W without
using the graphics card sounded about right. But then that probably is
worst case assuming powering all parts simultaneously.

> Most ventirad of cpu are about 100 to 150W, and when rendering the
> graphic card is nearly idle, so even with a disk and some memory chips,
> the global power would be about 200W when rendering, even with a 80%
> efficient PSU. (you do not have to keep the screen on during the render).

The motherboard presumably uses a fair whack as well, as on mine at
least it's got two quite large heatsinks. The other interesting I just
found out is that my GPU uses about 3x the power as my CPU, yet the CPU
heatsink and fan is bigger? How does that work?

Anyway, I figured out my average lighting use was about 25W (a handful
of LED and energy saving bulbs on for 4-6 hours/day), so even just
leaving my computer idle is using more than that...