POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:22 EDT (-0400)
  Stunned!!!! (Message 71 to 80 of 124)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Stunned!!!!
Date: 27 Jul 2014 02:35:21
Message: <53d49da9@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 01:51:53 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> It's a question of making beliefs be private or "none" becoming the
>> norm.  That's something that's going to take some time over here.
>
> That reminded me of this. It's not completely inaccurate.
>
> http://satwcomic.com/the-easy-way

I wish it were that way here.  I don't have a problem with people who
feel the need to be religious in their personal lives.  They don't need
to share it with the world - and in fact, they shouldn't.  What we
believe does drive our behaviour, but if people here in the US would stop
trying to be "more godly" and just tried to be decent to each other, I
think we'd find the country a far better place for everyone.

The point at which it's a problem for me is when someone's imposing their
beliefs on someone else.  I despise SCOTUS' recent decision allowing a
corporation to hold religious beliefs (say what?) and to impose those
beliefs on their employees (in the form of not allowing their corporate-
provided health care plan to cover certain forms of contraception,
because the 'corporation' believes - inaccurately, I might add - that
those drugs are 'sinful' because they cause abortions (which they don't)).

That a religious belief that's *scientifically* and *medically*
inaccurate can trump an employee's need for the drug (which may or may
not have anything to do with its contraceptive uses, I might add) is just
insane.  But 5 Catholic guys on SCOTUS said that was the case.

Now we just need an Islamic closely-held corporation to decide to impose
its religious beliefs on its female employees.  Say, for example, they
have to wear hijab rather than dress "like harlots".  I'm sure SCOTUS
would not have said THAT was OK - which means they're endorsing a
religion - something that the first amendment prohibits.

Jim