POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Stephen
Date: 27 Jul 2014 03:26:11
Message: <53d4a993$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/07/2014 23:38, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 07:13:39 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> Hmm, fair point.
>>>
>>> I think right now in the Seattle area, though, there aren't any new
>>> hospitals being built, but I'd be surprised if there weren't any new
>>> churches being built.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> As you know it was also a metaphor.
>> Churches, hospitals. Apples, oranges.
>
> Well, yeah, but it's an interesting question as a non-metaphor.

True. But that is how we are distracted.

> I've reached the point of being an atheist with the point of view that
> "if there is a supernatural world, and a deity that judges you when you
> die, then if that deity's judgment is based not on you being a good
> person but based on how much you worshiped the deity without evidence -
> well, fuck 'em."

How childish and trivial for a supernatural being to put worship of them
self above everything else. (Gives you real confidence in the afterlife.)

> I'd rather be a good person than waste my life worshiping something just
> to have a shot at beating Pascal's Wager.

Yes, I'll live by my conscience and let others play with those who have
nothing else to do but think about the number of angels that can dance
on the head of a needle.

On the other hand. The mythology opens up boundless opportunity for stories.

Have you read any of Charles Stross's Laundry series?

Where his protagonist is not the BOFH but the Sysop fighting the forces
from Hell. Quite funny and the Tech bits don't jar.

>> Bitter! Moi?
>
> Nah, I'm not seeing you being bitter *at all* about it. ;)

But I am Jim. I am.

--

Regards
     Stephen