POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jul 2014 02:40:00
Message: <53d49ec0$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 21:44:04 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> They are the same party now. Well, ok.. maybe there are "some"
> differences still, but, sadly most of those are in the fringes, it
> seems.

No, I think there are some fundamental differences between the parties,
but they both have things they're doing that make it difficult to vote
for them.

The problem ultimately is that we don't have more choices - and we end up
voting against someone more often than we are voting for someone.

The democrats will continue to generally get my votes for now, because
they're the lesser of two evils.  I could vote third party, but if I did
that, I might well end up with the worse of the two evils in office, if
enough other people did that but didn't get enough votes for the third
party.

The thing that's particularly disturbing, though, is that in our
"representative democracy," when you disagree with your elected official
on something and take the time to write them, they generally *don't* say
"thank you for sending me your thoughts - there were things you said that
I hadn't considered, and I will take your feedback and incorporate it
into my thinking."  They might not change their mind, but you might feel
that they were actually listening.

Instead, what you get (well, what *I* got pretty consistently) is a
letter that explains why they're right and you're wrong, and why even
though you disagree with them, they're going to vote the way they had
already decided to vote - and your input doesn't matter at all.

So why the f--- did I even bother to write?

Jim